1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Blind Melon album

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Mar 8, 2008.

1. New singer fronts band after a 12-year hiatus:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-blindmelon5mar05,0,2059489.story

I thought BM was one of the best bands of the '90s. This just seems so weird to me. I have a feeling it'll be a solid album - it was a shame that those guys stopped playing together, good as they were.

But this little experiment gives me this weird feeling of "deja vu." And also makes me feel a little old. I remember cranking "Soup" and passing a joint when the idea of a new Blind Melon album was "cool" for people in the 18-24 demographic. Now the band is starting up again, and people that age will be like, "Who are those old farts?" (Not that they'll ever hear about this release).

Just eerie to me that this band puts out two albums by their mid-20s, disappears after the lead singer dies, then suddely shows up again 12 years later, all older. Like a lightning bolt to remind me of how old I've gotten, too, without noticing :(

2. pallister

pallister Guest

This is like Alice in Chains without Layne Staley. The music might be good, but it's just not the same.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought Blind Melon sucked... The only reason anyone knew who they were was because the lead singer sang in GNR's "Don't Cry" video...

4. Well, I think you're wrong. "Soup" is an amazing album.

But different strokes.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

So I'm clear on this... their first album sold 4 million copies and "No Rain" was a number one hit, but the only reason anyone knows who they are is because Shannon Hoon appears in a G 'n' R video? Really?

::)

6. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

No, the only reason anyone knew who they were was because of that fat little girl who danced around in the bee costume.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They do/did a great version of Three is a Magic Number.

8. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

One of my favorite songs ever.

The Pusher also is great.

I'm torn on the new stuff, you can't fault the rest of the band for wanting to keep playing, but Shannon Hoon left some big shoes to fill. We shall see.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It cannot possibly be worse than the second coming of Alice in Chains.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Guy sounds enough like Hoon:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=48385346

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think Hoon and Tupac are releasing an album together

12. pallister

pallister Guest

You, my friend, are an idiot.

Draft saved Draft deleted