1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New BCS standings are right here

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rufino, Nov 26, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

If Rutgers beats WVa to win the Big East, Louisville probably gets an at-large BCS bid.
    If WVa wins, Louisville gets the Big East BCS bid and neither RU nor WVa gets an at-large.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If Rutgers gets that win, ND oughta be out. LSU has lost its collective games by a far smaller margin than ND.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

LSU currently is No. 5 and ND is 10th...I'd say LSU gets an at-large ahead of ND

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Makes for some interesting bowl alignments. Namely, what does the Rose Bowl do with the first at-large pick against Michigan?

LSU? Rematch Michigan and Notre Dame? Rutgers/Louisville? (No way in hell on that last one).

It will be interesting to see who gets the second BCS slot. It can't be Wisconsin because only two teams can go to BCS games from the same conference. Notre Dame might get in by default to likely the Sugar.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Wisconsin's already accepted another bowl bid.

6. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

to the Cap One Bowl...why only two bids per conference?

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"What's in your bowl game?"

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Right. I said it CAN'T be Wisconsin, which is pretty high up. Michigan and Boise State will get one. LSU might get one by default. It will be interesting to see who gets the fourth slot.

9. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

I posted this on the other thread, which was deleted, so I'll post it here.

Southern Cal lost to a decent Oregon State (8-4, No. 24 BCS) team.
    A Beavers team that got pole-axed by Boise State 42-14.

Considering the loser of the SEC title game (LSU-Fla.) gets dropped, Boise State will be unbeaten and ranked No. 7 in the BCS.
    Yea, they play in a "weaker" conference and their strength of schedule sucks.

But who's to say they couldn't play with OSU?
    Because OSU-Boise isn't as big an commercial sell as OSU-USC and upsets never happen in sports.
    As long as greed, er, bowls run Division I football, it's always going to be a joke.

[Of course, we can't have Michigan-OSU II for the national championship because "that wouldn't be fair" but watch the Rose lock up Michigan-ND II in a heartbeat. Because, you know, everybody is crying out for that rematch.]

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Assuming Southern Cal beats UCLA, at large bids will go to be Boise State, Michigan, second SEC team (LSU or two-loss Florida) and Notre Dame over Big East also-ran or third team from SEC/Big Ten.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Jay, I get annoyed more than anyone when people don't want to give Boise State their due for running the table, but let's be real about it. They are getting all the love they deserve from the BCS. There is no way on earth Boise State hangs with Ohio State. No way. And USC's schedule compared to Boise State's schedule more than makes up for the one loss. Oregon State is the only semi-tough game Boise State played. If they had played USC's schedule, there is no way they end up with just one loss, as USC did.

12. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Fault them for their non-conference schedule, sure.
    But you can't blame them for their conference sked. Sure, it's not the Pac10. And maybe they don't go undefeated in the Pac10. But if you start making the argument that only schools from the Pac10, ACC, Big10, Big12, SEC and Notre Dame can play for the national championship -- and maybe a Lousville or WVU, because let's be honest, an unbeaten Rutgers has as good a shot to play in the title game as Boise State -- why is anybody else even involved in the BCS? Especially considering the BCS's sole stated purpose is to create a national title game, everything after that is up to the bowls and their tie-ins.

I'm not as big a proponent for Boise State-Ohio State as I am for a playoff.
    In an eight- or 16-team format, at least they have the opportunity to knock a couple people off, maybe make it into the semifinals. The "chance" to play for a national title, which will never come under the current system, can be a great recruiting tool. Who knows, maybe 5-10 years into a playoff, we see a "george mason-esque" run where a WAC-type team pulls off a couple upsets and finds up in the title game. Harder to do in football than basketball, sure, but still plausible. If it weren't, we'd have just given USC a win against Oregon State to start the year -- because, after all, why play the game, we all know Oregon State can't hang with USC.

But greed always overrules logic.
    And so we get to watch a 6-6 Florida State team in the Emerald Bowl while waiting a month for a "BCS title game."

Draft saved Draft deleted