1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New BCS Playoff?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, we see where that got LSU.

The question is how to determine the best teams. I've never put too much stock in the AP or USA Today polls. The computer rankings the BCS used are confusing to some. There is no perfect way to determine the best teams; it's going to be an endless argument every year just like it is now. How does the NFL justify a 8-8 Seattle team making the playoffs when a 10-6 team (from a stronger division, no less) does not?

I understand that schedules cannot be made to even things out.

The SEC is always going to be physically superior to the Big Ten because the SEC loads up its rosters with a larger number of African-Americans who can run and jump better than they read and write. Yes, their number 4 team can probably beat the Big Ten champ by two touchdowns. OK, fine. If I'm the Big Ten, I want nothing to do with playing them and wash my hands of the whole thing. So, if you want the Big Ten in your playoff system, you are going to make some concessions to accomodate them. If you want to watch SEC battles, you have an entire season to do just that. You don't need a bunch of rematches in January. If that's the case, just rename the SEC championship game.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

In case you're wondering if Mark is still Mark? Yeah, he's still Mark.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If only Mark had been around to tell Rupp and The Bear to bring in a large number of African-Americans. Or is it a number of large African-Americans?

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Thought Jimmy The Greek was making a guest appearance.

5. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

What it got them was nothing because they failed to show up for the BCS title game and Alabama showed it was a superior team.

But you seriously would have kept LSU out of the playoffs last season? On what basis? They were perfect, had beaten No. 2 Alabama on the road and smashed Georgia in the SEC championship game, plus had beaten the Pac-12 champion earlier in the season.

I still like the idea of taking the four best teams AFTER the bowl games. That actually would make a few more of the bowl games meaningful.

6. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

My $.02 is that they should have somehow tried to work in a "first round bye" into the system. Possibly with 6 teams.

Teams that play in an incredibly difficult league (and win) or who challenge themselves and take OOC road games (and win) dont really see much of a benefit in the current system.

University AD's have "0" incentives to schedule OOC games at all now. It's going to be cupcakes galore from here on out.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But of you schedule cupcakes and falter one week in conference, you are pretty much done.

If you get one good non-conference win that might insulate you from the one crappy loss.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Mark 2010, that "too much time away from study" is bullshit. The other NCAA divisions, including III, where there aren't any athletic scholarships and players really ARE students first, have 16-team playoffs and they manage somehow. College basketball teams go to Maui, Alaska, etc. in December, and have an entire month of playoffs involving travel, and they get by.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nah. With 4 teams in and the committee supposedly taking SOS into consideration, I think teams will be more willing to schedule tougher games and less cupcakes. An 11-1 team with a loss to a top 5 or 10 team could still be in the thick of things.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

The season already stretches from late Aug. until the second week in Jan. Teams in good bowls have 6 extra weeks of practice built in. That obviously isn't too much. College basketball teams miss 2-3 days of school a week each time they take a road trip. Let's not pretend anyone cares about kids missing school (the kids sure as hell don't care).

11. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Well argued point, one that's going to still cause lots of confusion once this playoff gets implimented.

I think a lot will depend on the timing of the loss, like it does in the current system. A late season loss will obviously hurt more than an early season one.

12. Lipstick on a pig is still a pig.

I don't see a whole lot of changes here...
    The big bowls remain in control along with the big conferences. There is still potential for the Boise States of the world to get the shaft.

This is about as much change as voting for the other guy in a two-party system.

Draft saved Draft deleted