1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New BCS Playoff?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Reading the ESPN story only the Champions Bowl (which will be the Cotton Bowl), Rose Bowl & Orange Bowl are already confirmed as part of the semifinal rotation. The other three bowls are TBD:

There will be three contract bowls -- the Champions Bowl, which is a partnership between the Big 12 and SEC, the Rose Bowl, which has a longstanding tradition between the Big Ten and Pac 12, and a bowl to be determined for the ACC, which is likely to continue its partnership with the Orange Bowl.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8099187/ncaa-presidents-approve-four-team-college-football-playoff-beginning-2014

2. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

This is why I had hoped local sites could be used for the semifinals, giving teams who actually finish perfect a chance to host a semifinal as a reward. The BCS bowls had to be satisfied and the six-bowl rotation seems to be key.

I think this is a start but I can see it expanded once powerful but stubborn dopes like Jim Delany retire. That this much progress has been made in 3-4 years is like a couple of Ice Ages. It will evolve, just give it a few decades.

3. Armchair_QB

If they pair the semi sites they can probably have one eastern game & one western game every year.

West
    Rose
    Fiesta
    Cotton/Champions

East
    Orange
    Sugar
    Citrus/Chik-Fil-A

I also expect they'll take local support into consideration when choosing the final three teams for the rotation. If your game sells out regularly you've probably got a better chance to be selected.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What type of renovations is the Citrus Bowl getting? Are the bleachers going to be replaced by individual seats?

5. Armchair_QB

Here are some pics. Looks like a pretty serious rebuild.

http://www.floridacitrussports.com/photos/tabid/362/AlbumID/1360-69/Default.aspx

Love the fact they used Tennessee's checkerboard end zones in the rendering. I guess Steve Spurrier did the drawings...

"You can't spell Citrus without UT."

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Actually, there are major problems, chief among them, as several coaches and ADs have told me, is too many games. If you get all the way to the final, you may have to play 16 games. That's too many. Season stretches from late August until the second week in January. That's always been a concern.

We've got to remember the majority of the players are students first. I've heard stories of having to take final exams in a hotel room, on an airplane or after you arrived back home, dead tired from jet lag and on 3 hours of sleep. I used to be in favor of a real playoff system, until I saw and heard the chaos it caused.

If they can substitute a national semifinal for a bowl game and then play one more game for a title, I guess that is OK. It's only one more game for just two schools. But we've got to find a way to shorten the schedule.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

For the sake of the Big Ten, let's get at least one non-Southern site in the rotation. Why not Indianapolis? Good stadium, central location, lots of hotels, NCAA headquarters, etc. Detroit could also be considered with Ford Field.

I'd be in favor of Pasadena, Arizona, Dallas, New Orleans, Miami and Indianapolis in the rotation and then allowing those cities to bid (along with others) for the title game in years when they DO NOT host the semifinals.

8. Armchair_QB

Semifinals will be held at existing bowl sites so Indy is not an option. Detroit would be though.

Indy could host the championship game though.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

There's probably no hope of putting water back in the bottle by reducing the regular season, is there? :D

At the least, I could see everyone starting Labor Day weekend and wrapping up by Thanksgiving, with the conference titles game the next weekend. Just one exception: Army-Navy.

I can hear the screaming about the traditionals already, but that's already been done ... just ask Stanford and Cal fans why the Big Game is in October this year!

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If conferences are going to continue to hold championship games, those games HAVE to mean something. No losing a conference championship game (heaven forbid, not even qualifying for one) and sneaking into the playoff by the backdoor. A conference championship is and should be an elimination game for any team serious about a national championship.

I'm worried the way it might be set up, a team (you know who you are) is better off not winning its division and getting to skip a conference championship game altogether instead of risking a loss to another decent team. None of this "well, we went 11-1 and played a hard schedule". You lost the one that mattered, Stanford and Alabama. No playoff spot for that.

I've always HATED that about the basketball. Blow off your conference tournament because you're guaranteed an NCAA bid anyway. Bad method.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Will the bowl system apologists still use the 'It cheapens the regular season argument.' That was a favorite with a few tools I used to work with. 'Every regular season game is so important, if you lose one you're probably out of the national championship picture. In the NFL you can lose 6 or 7 games and make the playoffs.' I never got an answer to, How can the regular season be so important if 3 teams from BCS conferences happen to go undefeated. In that case the regular season was so important for 2 but meant piss for 1.

12. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Take the best teams period. Some were touting LSU as not only the best team last year but one of the best SEC teams of all time.

Draft saved Draft deleted