1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New BCS Playoff?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, in Idaho, Bob Kustra is writing a Dear John letter to the Big East.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Don't have a problem with it. Did they clarify that it will be the top three conference champs and one at-large (if the top four aren't conference champs?) I'd also like to see the at-large always seeded 4 and play #1 whether they share the same conference or not.
    Don't like the rotation of the bowls, unless they mean that no bowl can host a semi in consecutive years. Figure the Gator, the Orange, the Sugar and the Peach Bowl (yeah I'm old) can divvy up the Big East, ACC and SEC and maybe the Big 10 if need be while the Fiesta, Rose and Cotton handle the Pac12, Big 12 et.al

3. Armchair_QB

Did they mention whether they would permit a bowl to host a semi and the final in the same year?

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I would suspect two bowls will be matched together for the duration of the 12 years and host a semifinal every three years.

For instance: Peach and Fiesta in the first year. Rose and the Sugar in the second. Cotton and the Orange in the third. Rinse and repeat over the 12 years.

I'm curious if the six BCS conference champions are guaranteed spots in one of the four bowls that don't host a semifinal or if the bowls can choose who they want.

And I think starting in the 2014 season, if they don't make the semifinals, the champions of the Big 12 and the SEC will meet in a bowl game, much like the Rose with the Pac-12/Big Ten.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Nope. But I would suspect they will try to avoid that so a team doesn't play in the same stadium in back-to-back weeks.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I am curious how they will make the Championship game work - the bowls are used to "offering" millions on the condition that teams spend much of that loot locally.
    Are the bowl organizations going to bid on these things? Civic groups? Figure the game sponsors won't have a say in where it is played and I can count on one hand the number metro areas with DI schools and/or existing organizational structure that might have the desire to go for it: Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, Miami, New Orleans and maybe Indianapolis.
    The NFL has an advantage in that the Super Bowl is always held in an NFL city, the local team can lobby fellow owners and rally local support.
    And that said, I also wouldn't be surprised if the "bids" end up being underwhelming.

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I can't see the SEC and Big 12 signing off if there was a rule that required all four teams to be conference champs. Maybe three champs and one at-large that could go to a conference runner-up.

And I think this sucks for fans who want to go to games. Travel to one bowl can be expensive; now you're asking people to pony up for two sites.

Of course, this wasn't done for fans. It was done for money.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

FCS fans
    I don't see how two games will inconvenience fans more than any other tournament, especially compared to every other NCAA football playoff.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

For men's basketball, you are talking a fan base of 3-5k traveling, unless you get a UNC in Greensboro scenario. Football economics for this needs 35-40k traveling fans - in back-to-back weeks.

Also, capping at large bids at one means no Stanford in a playoff last year. Think that would have drawn any complaints?

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This system, a vast improvement on the BCS, already contains the seeds of its own destruction. It won't take long before teams 1-4 in the polls and in the consensus of fans don't all get invited so some conference champ does. And then the fun will start.

11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

At least with other tournaments, it's a larger field and you have several sites for early rounds so you have a better chance of catching your team, esp. if they get a higher seed. With this set-up, if you're an OU fan, for example, you could end up in the Rose Bowl for one game and a title game in Miami depending on how the rotation gets set up and where you're seeded.

And every other NCAA football playoff sucks for half the teams; the other half host home games. So while some fans are inconvenienced, others get to watch a game in their home stadium. I would love to see that done here. Instead, a lot of fans (unless they're wealthy) will be forced into the choice of a semifinal game or holding out hope for the title game.

12. Armchair_QB

I suspect they'll have as much trouble finding a host for the championship game as the NCAA does finding a host for the Final Four.

Draft saved Draft deleted