1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New BCS Playoff?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

PS: AQB, on New Year's Day 1966, Michigan State, Arkansas and Nebraska, ranked 1-2-3, lost the Rose, Cotton and Orange Bowls respectively. Number four Alabama, which beat Nebraska was given the AP number one. That's as close as I can come.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Rare is the time you can make an argument for the No. 5 team in the country as a true national championship contender. It's usually a flawed team with a defeat as it is. I'm fine with the four. Obviously, the trouble comes when you have a year where the champs of the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12 and ACC all have one loss and you have to parse through the resumes. But those years will be pretty rare.

If anything, a four-team playoff out to encourage tougher scheduling because the penalty for a loss isn't as severe. Play a great schedule and finish 11-1/12-1 and you still have a great shot of cracking the top four.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. A sticky situation will be if the selection committee is "encouraged" to take conference championships "into consideration" when selecting the four teams. Still, though, it's better than what we have now.

4. JackReacher

You take that back! And take it back NOW, Mister!!!

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My biggest question is how will this change the structure of who plays who in the bowl games or will it change at all?

If you're ranked No. 3 entering the bowl games, and you had to choose between playing the No. 2 team in one bowl or the No. 5 team in another bowl, would a team be better off taking what is presumably the "easier" game just so it holds its place to make the four-team playoff?

6. Mizzougrad96

College football is awesome. The bowl system sucks. This is not perfect, but it is a huge improvement.

7. JackReacher

I mean, won't the four teams in the playoffs be selected before any bowl games are played? After that, they'll fall in place like normal, far as I can tell.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just think, with the additional revenue, schools will finally be able to pay their athletes ....

... aw, who are we kidding?

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A team can't play in a bowl and then in the playoffs, which look to utlilize bowls for the semifinals.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Mizzougrad96

I was under the impression that they would play the bowl games and then a committee would select four teams to play in the playoff.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Just make it like the FCS playoffs and be done with it. Somehow that playoff system works wonders.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Nope. The semifinals would be within the existing bowl system if the plan on the table is approved. There is no way a playoff takes place after the bowls. The BCS presidential oversight committee is already wary of the championship game being played a week after New Year's Day.

Draft saved Draft deleted