1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New BCS Playoff?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8094689/bcs-leaders-confident-ahead-playoff-presentation-university-presidents

It's looking like the idea is to do a 4 team playoff...

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

First I'm hearing of this...

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

With a long-term deal to ensure a real NCAA champion won't be crowned anytime soon.

4. Of course there is.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Code for adding the Cotton Bowl, whatever bowl is in Houston, and the one in Tampa.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Hasn't it been a lock for at least a month or so now that we're getting a four-team playoff?

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I had been a proponent of a playoff system for many years, going back to the 1980s. But the mechanics of this is difficult. How is this any different than the current BCS format, other than adding two more teams and one more game?

If you take 4 teams, team No. 5 will always feel slighted. If you take 8 teams, team No. 9 will complain. If you take 16 teams, it will be team No. 17. And so. The basketball tournament is up to, what, 68 teams and every year you hear whining from some team with 12 losses claiming it got jobbed. (Truth be told, there are probably too MANY teams getting in, not too few.) So I can't see how a 4-team playoff is going to help much.

How would you justify excluding a major conference champion while taking more than one team from another conference?

8. JackReacher

Lots more transparency with the playoff, too. Anyone who argues against this playoff is doing so because they lack a brain.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I'm in favor as long as this is the first step in a process toward a true playoff.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't know the exact numbers but prior to the creation of the BCS you could count on one hand the number of teams that jumped from No. 5 to No. 1 at the end of the bowl season.

11. JackReacher

It's not going to be perfect. No playoff system will be. But it'll be 984578346736378459857% better than the BCS.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree with Ryan S.

Draft saved Draft deleted