1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

new automobile tires

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PaperDoll, Feb 28, 2007.

1. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Absolutely right! I can't agree more.

tirerack.com lets you punch in your car's year, make and model. Of course, they show you what they have (which is generally less expensive than everyone else).

But here's the difference: check out their message boards about each tire. Every post lists what car people drove the particular tire with. Even if you don't order tires from tirerack and get them locally, you can save yourself a shitload of money and hassles by running through the boards first to get a consensus on what works best for your car, as well as what to avoid.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

If you lived in Northern Jersey, I'd say go to Big Ed's Tire Center and he'll fix you up.

If you lived in my neck of the woods, I'd send you to this guy:

[​IMG]

Otherwise, listen to the other experts on this thread. And be prepared to pay $500-$600, easy.

3. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Conrad's had a buy 3, get 1 deal, I think I paid $350 or so for BFGoodrich. Not bad, IMO. And they too rotate them for life.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Can I threadjack to ask another car-related maintenance question? Yes? Thanks.

There is an increasing squeal coming from underneath my car. It used to only happen when I was idling. Now, it happens until I get past 30 mph. It's a tinny, high-pitched sound.

My usual solution to these type of problems is to turn the volume up on my radio so I can't hear the sound anymore, but that's not working.

Any thoughts before I go somewhere and they tell me it's the radiatorfluxcapapcitor intake valve and it'll cost me $25,000 to fix?

Thanks in advance. I love you.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wow.

I have the identical philosophy in dealing with my car.

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Maybe I just need to buy bigger, louder speakers. Hmmm

EDIT: I've gotten a couple of helpful PMs. Thank you gentlemen (or ladies).

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

True, but so much depends on the car. Is it a light coupe? Sporty car?

With some, you can't cheap out on the tires. Thing is, I found some BFGoodrich tires for mine that have better grip and are a little less expensive than the Michelins. The BFGs may wear slightly faster, but still probably a better bang for the buck.

I've usually gone with Firestone, but I've been lucky in that the locations in my current area and my hometown have both done good work. It almost goes without saying that this varies by location.

The tire rack suggestion is outstanding IF you're willing to do the research.

Good luck, PD.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a fan/serpentine belt. If it is, get a new one installed and adjusted before it snaps and leaves you on the side of the road.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I'd stay away from Sears. They have a reputation (confirmed by me at their local store) of selling stuff you don't need.

I've had good luck at Costco. Their prices are good and if you move or are on vacation, you can get the tires adjusted at any Costco.

I also use a local shop sometimes. I found them through my trusted mechanic. If you've got a mechanic you trust ask him where he'd recommend.

Oh, and andyouare? I agree--sounds like a belt of some sort. My first thought was power steering pump belt but it could be anything.

10. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

If it makes a squaling, squeaking noise as you accelerate, I'd put my money on a water pump/water pump belt.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Anybody here who lives in the northern climes use snow tires in winter?

Fortunately Toronto doesn't get all that much snow but I know Double J lives in a part of the province where it snows from November to May. :)

12. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Sounds like the serpentine belt from what you describe. Get it checked.

Edit: Didn't read earlier responses before I posted. If it breaks the car is parked.

Draft saved Draft deleted