1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

new automobile tires

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PaperDoll, Feb 28, 2007.

1. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Anyone know anything about buying new car tires? The dealership said three of my four are shot. I did the penny test, and I most definitely agree.

I called the local Pep Boys, which offered to sell me a set of Hankooks for over $500 installed and balanced. I thought that was crazy, 'til the local Sears Auto Center said their BF Goodrich tires would run me more than $600!

I've also checked with a local Bridgestone/Firestone dealer, whose estimate was close to $800 for my sweet little car. :eek:

Since I have no relationships with local mechanics, do I have to suck it up and hand over my credit card? Or am I forgetting some very important alternative?

FYI: I'm leaning towards Sears, since the tires got very good reviews online and the service folks treated me kindly when my battery died on Christmas eve. But that doesn't make this any less painful.

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

As much as I don't like shopping at Wal-Mart, we got a pretty good deal on tires for my wife's minivan there last year. And I got tires for my truck at Sam's a couple of years ago. I checked all over town and they had the best price in both cases.

3. Plus, at Wal-Mart, if you pay like an extra $10 they'll fix them and rotate them for life.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Shop for a bargain, but get good tires. You don't want to be too cheap on tires.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Try Costco.

Depending on your car's worth, if its a keeper for at least 3-4 more years, get some solid tires like Michelins. Check out the ratings at consumer reports.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I checked Costco when I last needed tires and discovered that by the time they add charges for everything else, their "discount" gets wiped out.

2 good quality but not top of the line Bridgestone's (matching the originals on the car) on sale at a Bridgestone/Firestone dealer ran me just under $300.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wow. Just wow. :)

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So I shouldn't spend $1,000 per tire? Dammit!

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

If you're really smart, you'll buy the tires from tirerack.com then have them shipped to your local tire shop (that you trust) and just pay for installation. I did this but had to deliver them to my house then schlepp them to the shop. Still got the tires I wanted and only paid for install.

10. joe

joe Active Member

If you have one in the area, try American Tires or Tires USA or something like that. The last time I had to buy tires, they were $200 cheaper than anyplace else.

11. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Tires are expensive, PD. Just be glad you don't have to shell out for low-profiles. Or do you?

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

While it's true there aren't as many actual tire manufacturers as people might think, the rest of that is bullshit. Tires vary widely in quality, tread life, handling, comfort, traction (on dry pavement, on wet pavement, in snow), etc. The key is figuring out what's important to you and finding a tire that strikes that balance. We have three cars in our household and each has a very different type of tire than the others.

Reviews/testing at the Tire Rack is great for determining these kinds of things. For most people and most cars, an all-season tire from a reputable manufacturer with a good wear rating (or, even better, a treadwear warranty) is a good, solid choice. Michelins are great, but tend to be spendy. I've also had good luck with Yokohamas and Bridgestones as less-expensive but still quality alternatives.

Draft saved Draft deleted