1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New AMC series Low Winter Sun

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tarheel316, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

I've seen the original 2006 UK series and thought it was excellent. Watching this version made me think more of Detroit 1-8-7 instead of the original. Also I couldn't get use to Mark Strong speaking without his UK accent. However, I'll keep with it to see where it goes from here as the UK version was less than three hours total and this one's 10 one hour episodes.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Do we still need to be remaking British shows in this era? What's the point with all the streaming services and easy availability to the originals?

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Somehow I hadn't read or heard anything about the show before I watched it and thought immediately, which beat-up city is that? Because I like beat-up cities. Detroit? Been there only briefly, recalled it having a larger skyline, still kind of leaned toward that. Or maybe it's like Gotham in Batman movies, filmed in various cities. Nah, I guess Detroit. Googled during next break. Detroit.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I just read that they're doing a US remake of "Broadchurch" too. You'd be surprised how many people won't watch a show because of the accents, etc.

5. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Too bad ABC didn't renew it as I liked the series. I bought the DVD last Christmas season when Best Buy had it on sale for less than $10.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I feel that way about comedies. It's not that I won't watch a British comedy, but to me the accent impedes the humor. For dramas, I really don't mind except when giving dreunc1542 shit about it.

7. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

because most 'Mericans don't want to listen to characters speak with British english accents or watch the Swedish/Danish originals having to rely on subtitles.

8. mr.westerberg

mr.westerberg Member

Disagree. thought it was good. to each his own.

9. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

I found it took me about 3 months of watching copious amounts of Brit comedies for their differences in accents to not have any affect on my viewing pleasure. Sort of like listening to the Cajin and deep south accents on those moonshiner/logging/gator hunting/handfishin' shows found on the History & Discovery Channels and CMT. Took awhile until I no longer needed closed captioning to mostly understand what they were saying.

Draft saved Draft deleted