1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Amazonian tribe discovered

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, May 30, 2008.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Sure, it's nice to know they exist, but I hope they're left alone.

2. I'm sure Christian missionaries are frothing at the mouth now.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Yeah, that's what I might be worried about.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

All those untapped souls. -- Missionaries

All those untapped natives. -- Joe Francis

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

More than half the world's 100 uncontacted tribes live in Brazil or Peru, Survival International says.

If they're uncontacted how do we know how many there are?

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Ahh...my brain!

[​IMG]

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This story had me reading up about isolated tribes last night... There are more than 100 tribes like this in the world, in New Guinea and in the Amazon Forrest. Christian missionaries wouldn't stand a chance. They'd kill half the people by spreading diseases they aren't immune to. But they'd never get close enough. The reason these tribes remain so isolated is that they are hostile to any approaches from outsiders. Unless those Christian missionaries go in with guns blazing, trying to mow them down, they will end up with their skulls on sticks. Two years ago, one of these isolated tribes on an island near India, killed two fishermen who were fishing within range of the island and then they drove off the helicopter that was sent to retrieve their bodies with a hail of arrows.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Uncontacted is a bad term. More like isolated. There are very few tribes that haven't had some kind of contact with modern civilization. The tribes that is referring to, though, make contact really difficult and dangerous and choose to remain isolated.

9. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

They call their leader "Belichick"

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Wasn't there a big hoax about one of these supposed groups in the Phillipines a while back?

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No, they've already been contacted. Didn't you see the documentary?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I find this extremely fascinating. Would love to be a fly on the walls of their huts ... so cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted