1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Age Journalist/Data Producer, Rocky Mountain News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Can anyone shed any light on this?

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=880890

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If I had to bet on what will be the next big paper to fold, my money is on this one...

I love the section, but I have a hard time believing this paper will be around five years from now...

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yes, since abandoning paying customers is such a smart move ...

ROCKY MOUNTAIN NEWS, DENVER (DENVER CO.) AVG M (M-F) DLY 225,226
    ROCKY MOUNTAIN NEWS, DENVER (DENVER CO.) SAT M DLY 490,741

(The Saturday numbers are so high since the Post doesn't publish Saturdays.)

4. New Age journalist? Do I have to provide my own crystals? (Sorry, could not help myself.)

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I have plenty of computer-assisted reporting skills. I have Google bookmarked.

6. Mizzougrad96

Their circulation is half what it used to be and not having a Sunday paper is obviously killing them from an advertising standpoint...

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Circulation everywhere is "half what it used to be."

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

You've said this drivel before and you're wrong. The JOA money is split evenly between the papers, unlike everywhere else where there is a clear, dominant paper that has an advantage with the JOA.

Any and all advertising dollars that come in for each paper are split between the papers. Yes, including Sunday. The same with Saturday when only the Rocky publishes.

The Post and the Rocky have virtually identical circulation numbers. And, yes, the total is probably about half from a decade ago. For both papers. News flash: It's the same everywhere else.

That's not to say someday there won't be a paper that folds. You could say that anywhere these days. But to say the Rocky will be "the next big paper to fold" is shortsighted and misguided because you're basing things on facts you clearly don't know anything about.

9. Mizzougrad96

I hope I'm wrong... :-\

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

What does this "new age" garbage mean? I kinda like the old age better, back when newspapers practiced real journalism.

11. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Do you have to listen to John Tesh to qualify?

Draft saved Draft deleted