1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New ABC circulation figures

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by VJ, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure they would. If it's a home delivery situation and it's so far away that it's not worth cost. Advertisers in Atlanta, likely don't care about paying a higher rate because folks 200 miles away get the paper.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

anyone have a link for the new audit numbers for all newspapers?

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

well, when you tell people that your print edition isn't important, why should they buy it?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

But why the stark drop in so many Sunday circulations at big papers?

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Post Monday through Friday was off 11.9 percent to 225,390.
    Rocky Monday through Friday was also off 11.9 percent to 225,226.
    Saturday Rocky off 11.2 percent to 490,741.
    Sunday Post off 13.5 percent to 600,229, off more than 200,000 copies below its peak.

From the Rocky story:

The Denver figures reflect a decision by the Denver Newspaper Agency to dramatically cut back on what are called "third-party sales." These copies are paid for by advertisers and dropped on the steps of non-subscribers.

Many major papers cut back on their third-party sales in previous periods, absorbing large circulation declines before the the Denver dailies did.

The circulation figures show the continuing shift of readers away from the paid print product to newspaper Web sites. To reflect that, the audit bureau has introduced a new audited "audience" figure compiled by Scarborough Research.

The Denver papers report a local "total net audience" of 1,677,231 in the local television market and an audience of 1,363,093 in the area it designates as where it sells its ads. The numbers count readers who read both the print and Web site as one person.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_5739690,00.html

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Probably real high-minded reasons, like price and a cutback in TV listing supplements and the decline in people buying the "bulldog" versions for an early shot at the (remember these?) classified ads.

Oh, and price. Like HoopsMcCann said, when you tell people in a hundred different ways that the print edition isn't important, why should they buy it?

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Additionally, lotta folks paying $2.50-$3 per gallon of gas when they swing by the pump on Sundays. Think the few who aren't paying at the pump nowadays feel like throwing down an extra $1.50 for a paper when they go in?

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's a very good point, OTR.

Plus it's tough to carry the Sunday paper with the foot-long dog, chips and 64-ounce soda (diet of course).

9. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

We lost circ, especially on Sundays, and are pretending it's a great victory.

10. KG

KG Active Member

With the AJC, I'd say at least a small part of the problem with the Sunday issue is the lack of its historically good coupons. When I moved to Atlanta 11 years ago, just about any time someone mentioned the AJC, someone would praise its Sunday issue for all the coupons that helped them more easily afford "the good stuff" at grocery stores. Being someone who could hardly afford the store brand, I jumped on the band wagon and signed up for the Sunday issue. It was nice, because I could finally have names like Kraft, Bounty and Tide adorning the products in my buggy.

It used to be great, but for quite some time the Sunday issue coupons haven't even been worth paying the $2.50 an issue at the store. The banner wrap still boasts that there's over $250 savings inside, but it's mostly just sales ads. I know I probably shouldn't be comparing the drop in Sunday sales to the crappy coupons, but if I had to pay for it, I wouldn't waste $2.50 on it on a regular basis.

To its credit, the coupons were well worth the cost this week. I nearly did jumping jacks for joy.

The AJC is at least trying to increase weekend subscriptions with this new (I think it's new) option. It's offering Sunday and you can choose to add the Thurs, Fri or Sat issue to it. So it would be like Thurs & Sun, Thurs Fri & Sun or whatever combination you want. Do others do that too? I just thought it was a little confusing, especially since the seven day sub isn't much more.

11. lono

lono Active Member

REMAIN CALM! ALL IS WELL!

[​IMG]

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Circ numbers are garbage. They don't reflect the actual amount of people who read the paper. There could be 100 people who read a single copy of a paper. I've worked at more than one place that bought the newspaper and it stayed in the break room. Where I am now I bet 50 people a day read that paper.

I bet anymore for each circ lost, three or four people find a different way to read the paper, so the ratio of eyeballs per copy goes up.

Draft saved Draft deleted