1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Never trust a man in a bowtie

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twoback, Aug 19, 2008.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

And I keeps one in the chamber

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Heard today that we are one of four countries in the world where the drinking age is higher than the age of majority. It just makes no sense. I don't understand the logic that says that the day before your 21st birthday, you shouldn't have a drop of alcohol because you can't handle it, but on your 21st birthday, you're free to do whatever you want.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Well, you've got to draw the line somewhere. Whether that should be 21 or not ... hell, I've got no strong opinion.

But I see nothing wrong with the way things are: If you're over 21, you can drink to your heart's content. If you're under ... ask your older sister for booze. Everybody wins.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You're absolutely right. There's nothing at all wrong with the system as it is. There's no binge drinking in college.

Maybe if you drew the line at teaching kids how to be responsible with alcohol, rather than teaching them that anyone who has even a sip of alcohol before some randomly chosen calendar milestone is bound for the depths of hell and a life of alcoholism, we might get somewhere.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Bravo!
    Yes, Deskslave, we've done so well at teaching young people how to be responsible with tobacco and sex, why not let them have legal alcohol too.
    Difference, of course, being that tobacco mostly kills the young people themselves slowly over time, the indiscriminate sex just messes up their own lives, but legal alcohol puts MY life in jeopardy. I'll pass, thanks.
    MADD statistics show that drunk driving deaths have declined as the result of the 21 age. I don't know if they're fudging them or not, but I can live with that. What's the alternative? Johnny can't have a beer at Applebee's when he's 19? Tough.

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I've always been OK with the drinking age being where it is at, because we are so reliant on cars in this country. The French can drink at 16 because they're all getting on the subway or hailing cabs. Our kids are jumping into SUVs and hitting the highway. Maybe a couple years of experience and maturity isn't such a bad thing.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Case you pondering.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Alma thinks that's all we are, anyway.

9. three_bags_full

Ever been to the beach? (Stupid question. I know. Just play along.)

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Do you have to draw the line somewhere?

The problem is with our culture and attitudes towards certain behavior. It isn't the age.

11. three_bags_full

That squishy stuff you get between your toes? Marines.

12. three_bags_full

OK, this one's a visual. Bear with me.

In the Army, we call them choppers.

In the Air Force, they call them helicopters.

In the Navy, they call them whirlybirds.

What do they call them in the Marine Corps?

(Looks and points toward the sky)

Uhgh!

Draft saved Draft deleted