1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Never trust a man in a bowtie

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twoback, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee, a job-hopping opportunist of the worst sort who pretends to have answers for all manner of college athletics ills, now comes forth with the answer to excessive alcohol consumption on college campuses:
    Lowering the drinking age.

http://www.nbc4i.com/midwest/cmh/news.apx.-content-articles-CMH-2008-08-19-0016.html

Gee and 99 other college presidents contend the reason kids drink too much at college is they're not allowed to. So they contend if the age is lowered, the problem will be mitigated.
    Hey, if we're going to torture the logic that much, one way to get rid of binge drinking on college campuses would be to get rid of college.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Next up: Getting rid of credit card debt by making payments optional!

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

And let's decriminalize pot while we're at it, too.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Why is it a sin to acknowledge the obvious? Prohibition for the 18-20 set has been no more effective than when the whole country was under it.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Canada's drinking age is 19. It was 21 when I was in school---about 30 years ago. Everyone's moved on.

What exactly are the arguments for maintaining 21 as a legal drinking age? It makes no sense whatsoever.

And yes, if kids are taught to drink responsibly at 19 (or in the home at 17 or 18), there's evidence that it will reduce the problem of binge drinking.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

What? You think it's wrong that a kid can die for his country but not buy a drink?

Why do you hate America so very much?

7. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

This is a good idea I think. When I worked at the Vet in college you only had to be 18 to pour. So in the eyes of the law I was responsible enough to cut people off, but I couldn't have anything myself.

8. Kudos to Dr. Gee and the 99 other brave presidents. They're going to face an onslaught from the MADD neo-Prohibitionists, but I hope they stay strong.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I totally thought this was about Tucker Carlson.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Let's face it, what this is about is Gee and the 99 trying to absolve themselves of legal responsibility for almost all of the drinking by their students.

And I think any 18-year-old who's in the service should be able to drink. The rest can wait, enlist or blow it out their asses.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bingo.

Bingo, deux.

12. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I forget where/when I first heard this, but someone has a line about making the drinking age 16 and the driving age 21. As I get older, it makes more sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted