1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Never too early: MLB 2013 predictions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dog eat dog world, Jan 25, 2013.

1. MankyTrout

MankyTrout New Member

Instead he's the Roman god of suck.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The Rays aren't owned by David Glass.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The Royals will slump in September, prompting the firing of Ned Yost. Royals will then get hot and make playoffs. Deja vu.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Besides Bourn, Kelly Johnson and a handful of washed-up closers and serviceable set-up men (K-Rod, Valverde, Rauch, Qualls), is there anyone of consequence still out there?

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Shocking that you feel that way.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Kyle Lohse, but that's about it.

Here's a pretty good tracker that gets updated daily.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/transactions/free-agents/pitchers

7. Steak Snabler

And Bourn and Lohse are both Boras clients, so I guess it's unsurprising they're the last two left.

Then again, Fielder didn't sign with Detroit until Jan. 24 last year, so I suppose it's early yet.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Saw last night that the Brewers won't be pursuing Lohse because not only is he a Boras client, he also comes with draft-pick compensation.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Lohse is going to be interesting. He was very good in 2011 and among the top pitchers in the National League in 2012, but he has some major negatives. Aside from what you mentioned, he's 35 and he had many lousy seasons before putting together a decent stretch in St. Louis.

10. Steak Snabler

Apparently Bourn also comes with draft-pick compensation, but only for teams without a Top 10 pick (which is everyone but the Astros, Cubs, Rockies, Twins, Indians, Marlins, Red Sox, Royals, Pirates and Blue Jays). Pittsburgh has the No. 9 pick for failing to sign Mark Appel last year.

Incidentally, Seattle has the No. 12 pick, so the Mariners could sign Bourn without having to give up their first round pick.

11. Hey Diaz!

Hey Diaz! Member

Let's give this a shot.

AL
    East: Rays
    Central: Tigers
    West: Angels
    Wild cards: Yankees, Rangers

ALCS: Angels over Rays

NL
    East: Nationals
    Central: Cardinals
    West: Dodgers
    Wild cards: Braves, Reds

NLCS: Nationals over Reds
    WS: Angels over Nationals

Number of MLB salary cap threadjacks per month: 5

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't quite follow baseball close enough anymore to have a legit opinion. But I will always go with the the teams that have pitching -- especially starting pitching. From what I read, there was a lot of moaning about giving up Wil Myers in the trade for Jamie Shields and Wade Davis. But without knowing just how good Wil Myers is, I like that kind of trade for a team like the Royals. They have made so many trades where they give away their good player for a bunch of serviceable players (i.e. Zack Greinke), and for once they got rid of the prospect early and got a couple of good players to try to compete now. And if you're going to try to win like that, I think starting pitching is the way to do it. Add Ervin Santana and they may have put together something. Maybe it's a stretch, but that was what I had in mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted