1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Never hit on Steve DeBerg: Week 17 NFL running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Dec 23, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thank you. Again, what do you expect from a guy who was rooting for his own favorite team to be eliminated from playoff contention last night?

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And yet, when the focus shifts to the Steelers, you want to talk about the video. And myself, a Steelers fan, didn't see any relevance to this week's games in talking about that. So who's making it an issue, me or you?

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

What a great playoff game that was.

Chiefs were up 16-3, lost 17-16 on a pass that only Dan Marino could have completed to Clayton as Albert Lewis thought he had a 95-yard Pick Six.

Still, the Chiefs had the Dolphins beat until a holding penalty against then-rookie Dave Szott.

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I don't want to talk about the video. I just want to post it. Because it's funny. Why, does it bother you? You're the only one who's spoken up about it or even responded to it.

EDIT: If it bothers you, Oz, I'll stop posting it. Because I like you.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

It's a piece of cloth.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not a huge Cowherd fan, but I was listening him this morning and he made a lot of salient points in regards to the Jest.

If they lose, they finish 9-7. Did anyone expect the Jets in a loaded AFC to be any better than 9-7 or 10-6? That team isn't strong enough to be considered a 12-win team. I understand the Seattle thing, but teams lay eggs. The Giants did lose to Cleveland, right? It happens.

Firing Mangini would be a stupid, reactionary move. Yes, he has to be held responsible. But if his job is on the line, that's ridiculous.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

He led KC to a playoff berth for the first time in forever that season. After the loss to Miami, they printed we're No. 1 t-shirts with the pinky sticking out.

I think he broke it against Houston. He turned away and had hte trainers reset it and tape it up that game. Then he led a power-running team to the playoffs... and the look on his face was priceless every time he had to hand it off to Okoye with that hand.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't disagree, though unless it has changed since Myron Cope's death, the money from the official towels really does go to charity.

But to many Steelers' fans it is more than that. The best equivalent I can think of is when Terrell Owens took a bow on the star in Texas Stadium. White's behavior wasn't quite as bad because it wasn't on the field of play and it was after the game, but the meaning is similar.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

"The video you posted, that's Week 16/rematch discussion. Doesn't have much room in a Steelers-Browns week."

That was my response to you hoping Steelers fans would take the bait on the video, which doesn't bother me, good for the Titans for having fun. I loved it when Shannon Sharpe mocked the Patriots by picking up a sideline phone a decade or so ago, too, so I understand why anyone who can't stand the Steelers would love that clip.

So how did I start talkiing about the video? Because your comment to my response was that it was more fun to talk about than the Steelers-Browns game. Heck, even my first comment about the video is copying and pasting my Browns' friend comments about the clip -- not anything to do with the Steelers' perspective on this.

Post that clip on every thread, knock yourself out, it doesn't bother me any. What would bother me more is seeing a Steelers fan rooting against his own team.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I remember sitting at a sports bar earlier this year and a group of six guys with terrible towels (who the fuck brings one to a sports bar? lame) got up, cheered and started waving them when Tom Brady got injured. Classless.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

At our Steelers bar, the Steelers fans stayed hushed and uttered phrases like, "That sucks," and "He might be done for the year." No gloating about Brady being hurt.

I can't say the same that day about the seven Bills fans, who I swore were ready to buy a round of drinks.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I humbly disagree. The Jets spent $140 million in the off-season, pre-Favre trade, in an attempt to improve following a 4-12 debacle. Organizations don't spend that kind of coin to finish 9-7 and out of the playoffs.

Draft saved Draft deleted