1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Never, EVER go to the dealer for work

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd rather pay someone $30 to change my oil than crawl under my car, wrestle with the damn filer and then have to figure out what to do with the old oil. That's just not worth messing with.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That one I agree with. There's a lot of stuff I don't mind doing myself, but oil changing is a pain and you don't save that much money.

3. You can take the old oil to Advance or Auto Zone.
    I refuse to pay someone to change my oil.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

It was a happy day for me when I found a reputable, independent repair shop that specializes in my brand of car. I've been a happy customer of theirs for a couple of years now and it's so nice to know that I have mechanics I feel I can trust, who haven't gouged me and who have treated me really, really well.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Battery was going dead on one of our vehicles, so after Walmart replaced it, the radio wouldn't work. The dealer was right around the corner, so I pulled in and told them I needed the secret code. He played around with his computer for one minute and then put it into the system. Off I went. No charge. While he was doing this he did ask me why I went to Walmart for the battery instead of the dealer; I was up front with him. Walmart's was $30 cheaper than what the dealer quoted me when I called to check.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I've noticed dealerships are starting to get much more competitive on pricing for service (non-repairs) like tires, oil changes, etc.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Toyota tries to get you to rotate them every 5,000 miles as part of the 5,000 mile interval service.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If you've been that lucky w/Jiffy Puke, you should do two things, immediately:

(1) Move to Vegas, if you're that incredibly lucky, and

(2) Commence going ANYWHERE other than Jiffy Lube, immediately.

It's just a matter of time . . .

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, I usually go to Valvoline, but I never let those guys do anything other than change the oil.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Excellent points. Quick-lube places are an interesting combination of scam and incompetence; I wonder what percentage of customers spring for new air filters when they bring yours to the lobby to show you it's dirty.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

My brother used to be a manager in a dealer service dept. so I always took my cars there. All the smaller stuff he could get done for me reasonably. But for any big job, he would have me buy the parts from their parts dept., then hook me up with one of the mechanics who would do the installation job somewhere outside the dealership's garage. I had a new fifth gear put in by a guy at his own garage and it cost me $800 instead of the $1900 the dealer wanted.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I gave up Jiffy Lube in favor of my local Firestone. Among other things, I got tired of the procession of dirty parts. Always wanted to say "you think my air filter is bad? Look in the kiddie carseat, there's Goldfish crackers from 2006."

Draft saved Draft deleted