1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Never-ending computer issues thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Feb 2, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Might as well have a running thread if we're always on here seeking help, right?

Having major problems with browsing. Last night, one of my spyware programs apparently found a Trojan. Seems like it might have been launchpad.exe. (Don't know how I got it at all.) Since last night, I'm having massive problems online -- pages take three attempts to load, some won't refresh. I've restarted my cable modem and router, and nothing's changed.

Anyone got tips?

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Go with a virus scan.
    Have it clean out what isn't supposed to be there.

If you say your system has found a Trojan (I wouldn't suggest using it. Sorry) rebooting the modem and router won't help.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I had the spyware program delete the Trojan, instead of archiving it. Mistake? Anyway, my virus scan hasn't picked it up in scans thereafter.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Load up the Windows Task Manager and check out which processes are running.
    Load up Google and perform a search on each one. You can leave out the ones that are obvious.

Also, check your network card's stream.
    Load up your network card's properties and check the box that says "Show icon in notification area when connected." Click OK and exit.

Now that the icon is in the lower right corner near the clock, you can double click it and see how many packets are sending and receiving. If you see a ton getting sent out and you aren't doing anything then you either have a virus which wasn't found or you have some sort of BitTorrent program open and someone is downloading a file from your computer.

Draft saved Draft deleted