1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Never complain about traffic in your city again. Ever.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Aug 24, 2010.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'll stick to the subway, thanks. Riding a bike with all the cars around is taking your life in your own hands.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Um . . . your mom?

Seriously, this is the latest episode of "Does SportsJournalists.com live under a rock?"

Not calling YOU a racist, but certainly stating that Carolla's statement has the pungent tinge of a racial stereotype.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is it really racist if there's nothing mean spirited about it?

I'm not in favor of racist jokes, but I also don't think we need to be so politically correct that we can never make a joke that plays on racial/ethnic/gender stereotypes.

And I also acknowledge that certain groups -- Asians are probably near the top of this list (right Shaq) -- are made fun in a way that you can't make fun of other groups.

So, while I think the same standards should apply to all groups, I don't really see a problem with a lighthearted joke that is made in good fun and not in a mean spirited way.

4. Piotr Rasputin

"Good fun" according to WHOM?

The person making the "joke"? The person targeted?

5. ohforgawd'ssake. it was a joke that gets told 100 times a day on comedy shows

and don't worry, Asians know plenty about stereotypes. Found that out when I was in Tokyo and constantly heard the term "gaijin", which clearly is a pejorative in modern usage

6. Piotr Rasputin

During my time in Tokyo (as well as other cities and regions in Japan), I seldom heard it. It could be due to the fact I wasn't making a fool of myself, or perhaps you're exaggerating?

Let's say it's a little of both. Because unless you were really putting yourself out there in a loud way, it's not likely the denizens of Tokyo gave you a second thought. They see plenty of "gaijin" every day.

I'm not dismissing the fact that "gaijin" has been used as an insult; it's been depicted in entertainment media many times. But I'm pretty sure your stated memory of Tokyo doesn't really match the facts.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We can still make fun of goofy white guys, though, right? Because if that's out the window then we're all screwed.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm still going to complain about traffic, especially traffic at times when there should be no traffic, such as 10:30 p.m.
    You can't go anywhere these days without running into one construction project or another. Four-lane highways are cut down to one or two lanes so you get these backups in the middle of the night that you only used to encounter at rush hour.
    And there are no alternate routes. They're all under construction, too.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, that's the problem isn't it?

I think the person telling the joke's intentions should be factored in. Certainly, we'd all let a good friend get a way with a joke at our expense that we wouldn't appreciate from a stranger -- because we know his/her intentions.

That being said, I understand how someone could be ignorant of certain sensitivities and tell a joke with no malice intended that would be found to be offensive by others.

I'm sure Shaq didn't mean any harm when he did his Asian accent thing, but I could see why it would be offensive.

Same with Fuzzy Zoeller. The fact that Fuzzy used the term "boy" in the intro to his "joke" didn't help, but I think he was just trying to be funny.

I just think we actually lose something if we can't occasionally let our guard down and tell a joke without fear of being labeled a racist, sexist, homophobe, etc.

Laughter is health. Sometimes a joke can be funny even if it touches on a stereotype.

But in today's society & climate, I'm not sure it's possible.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Oooonly if they're fat.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's a logic to the late-night construction, at least. It's designed to shut down the lanes when there's not as much traffic, thus limiting delays.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I know, but what's the sense of having multiple projects going on at once so there's no way to get anywhere without running into one of them?

Draft saved Draft deleted