1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Never Been More Nervous Than I Am Now...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Feb 1, 2009.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

[​IMG]

"Nervous?"

"Yes."

"First time?"

"No, I've been nervous lots of times."

2. pallister

pallister Guest

I thought this thread was about the fourth quarter of tonight's game.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Dude, good luck. Definitely weigh your options. Did you have a decent relationship with your guidance counselor in high school? That might be someone to go to.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I hope Kevin can get over Rio Grande.

5. Something to know: Recruiters lie. They all do. It's in their job description. Every single military person I know has been lied to.

Talk to the recruiter and then fact-check with people in the reserve.

6. WFW.
    The point of joining the Army -- in any form -- is to put yourself in harm's way. Period.
    It is not an educational institution or a path to your comfortable retirement. It is ultimately to enter the country's service and be trained to kill people and to risk your own life in the process. (I make no moral judgments here. That's just the deal.) If this is a bargain you feel you can make with yourself, you have my admiration and my support. But, in making the decision, don't lose sight of the fact that you're not training to be an electrician here.

7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

And even if it is 'just' the reserve, I would guess a huge, huge percentage have been overseas since Iraq started. If/when you sign on the dotted line, you have given your life away. Never forget that.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I do not miss those days.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

When I decided to leave Syracuse just before Thanksgiving in 1977 I visited an Air Force recruiter because I didn't want to go home and tell my parents that I was leaving school and didn't have a clue what I wanted to do. My Korean War vet father, against all expectations, talked me out of it and 30 years later I'm extremely happy that he did.

10. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

This is definitely some sound advice. I can't help but think of the LA Mag story The Recruit, done by Jesse Katz, that was in BAMW...2006 I think, about a kid who was sold on the army. I won't make big judgments about the process, but it quite clearly illustrated how the enlistee and recruiter enter the process from completely different perspectives and often have completely different aims.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A couple of my closest friends are in the Air Force. They went to the AFA Academy and both are pilots. They make good money ($60K plus a year that isn't taxed) and they get monthly stipends to cover rent etc. They will both retire from the service within the next 10 years and essentially be set for life.

I'm from a military family and West Point wanted me to play football there. There are times where I really regret not doing it.

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I just got done speaking with the recruiter for a good two and a half hours. Got a lot of information and a lot of questions answered. I was pressured about the pros and cons of active duty, but I don't know if I can commit to a job that I don't see my future career being built around.

I'm probably going to enlist in the USAR rather than go active. I'm not terribly worried about going overseas, but if the time comes - so be it.

Draft saved Draft deleted