1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Never Been More Nervous Than I Am Now...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Feb 1, 2009.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I've never been more nervous about anything in my entire life. That's a lot of tests, relationships, college applications and driving tests later that I can't stop thinking about what will happen in 11 hours from the writing of this message.

In 11 hours time, I will be speaking to a recruiter for the Army Reserve. I've fully commit myself to join the Army Reserve and become a stronger person, and, while doing that, make some money to pay off my college loans and get started on my masters in the face of a bleak economy.

I don't know why I'm so nervous about tomorrow. I don't consider this recruiter to be anything different than your average college/university admissions representative, but I think the unpredictable future remains about my decision: Will I be going into combat overseas? I don't write this message to get that particular question answered, but it's a thought in the back of my mind that, rather than being nervous of whether you passed, or whether you got accepted into your dream college/university, life and death is at stake.

I don't write this message to ask for sympathy, or even get told that, if I'm nervous, why bother joining; rather, I write because this will be one of the first purely independent decisions I'll make about my future, and it's one that will determine how the rest of my life pans out.

Thought I'd get that off my chest. ;D

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I considered joining the Reserve in high school. It came down to the simple fact that I wasn't in a place where I could commit myself to five years of anything. Just realize the recruiter is there to make it sound as appealing as possible and to get your name on the dotted line, not on whether it is the right decision for you. Only you can answer that. Just go in with your eyes wide open. My only advice is to figure out how much worse than expected the experience might be and how you would tolerate it. Good luck. It's probably not a bad time to be in Iraq now anyway. the pay is up and the danger is down. Afghanistan is a different deal altogether.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

For the love of piss, junior, just get up off your chair and go ask the hottie in the corner to dance. All she can do is say no and tell all her friends about it and make you the laughingstock of the school Monday. :D

(Sorry but that subject title reminded me of the end of every high school dance I ever attended)

Good luck dude. I'd be nervous too but you're showing giant balls by making this decision. Major props. But don't go too far away, we like to have you around to mock on the baseball threads. :D

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Have you compared the Navy reserve with the Army reserve?

5. markvid

markvid Guest

I say this in all seriousness...
    Don't make your decision right then and there tomorrow.

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

That I do not plan to do. I'm solely looking to be a sponge and take it all in and then talk it over with the folks.

93Devil: I have not compared the two, but have only really been told that Army Reserves is likely to offer more benefits towards my education.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would compare everything.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Best of luck. In the past couple years I have come to think that I completely regret not having ever gone into the service. I don't know how young you are, but if you can, stick it out for 20-25 years and you'll get a very nice pension to supplement whatever else you have pension-wise and savings wise.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I was thinking it was a "she's in the bathroom getting ready, and I am shitting myself here!! Do I put the condom on now, or do I wait? Does thinking about baseball, or spelling the alphabet backward, really help you last longer? What if she says, 'I love you'? Oh my God, what if I say it?!? Why didn't I get drunk first like my brother told me??" type of thread. ;D

Joking aside, you're being very smart to go into this with an open mind and a willingness to consider everything, including the opinions of your loved ones, before committing to anything. Best of luck!!

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Best of luck, Kevin.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Take a look at the Air Force Reserve before you make a final decision.

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

My father was in the Air Force so I'll definitely speak to him about it after my talk with the recruiter tomorrow. When I got fired from my job, my father told me I should join the Air Force, but I scoffed at the idea. I'll weigh out all my options tomorrow when I speak to my parents in detail about my thoughts. I'll be sure to provide an update on here.

Draft saved Draft deleted