1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nevada player arrested for prostitution - dismissed from team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 14, 2010.

1. http://www.rgj.com/section/blogs16?plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3acf54a7c3-6850-4148-9710-effa04ad5005Post%3a8be22d67-bee6-4cb5-9952-74cca4cda0a3&sid=sitelife.rgj.com

This is interesting.
    Member of the Nevada track team - a freshman female - was arrested in a prostitution sting.
    She has been dismissed from the team.
    Two questions:
    I thought prostitution was legal in Nevada? I am really curious as to how she was arrested - not registered or licenses as a hooker?
    Two: They dismissed her? Seriously?
    Are student athletes allowed to work? She was "working" in the off-season. Aside from being arrested, was this really a huge crime?
    I doubt the school would so quick to boot a member of the football team if they were arrested for solicitation or some other misdemeanor offense.

This smacks of a double standard.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Before clicking, I thought this would be about a football player, and thus a Fulmer Cup classic.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

The story doesn't say where she was arrested: Reno? Las Vegas? somewhere in California? Also prostitution is only legal in some parts of Nevada and those do not include Las Vegas.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought it was legal in brothels (which are only legal in some counties), but the streetwalkin prostitution was still illegal?

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You are correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Nevada

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Those Catholic girls, they start too late. :D

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Did you forget to write this whole post in blue type? You really don't see the problem here?

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Lt. Dangle's undercover vice work finally pays off.

9. I'm serious.
    She arrested and dimissed.
    She was arrest doiong something that is legal - at least in parts of the state.
    I think it is a unfair double standard. Seriously.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Do we have any other examples of Nevada athletes being arrested for misdemeanors to compare this too?

11. I'm sure there are. I think some football players have had misdemeanor arrests. Bet money they remained on the team.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Looks like this is the university's protocol.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=11724644

Draft saved Draft deleted