1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nevada (Mo.) Daily Mail Sportswriter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diabeetus, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Company: Nevada Daily Mail
    Position: Seeking sports writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $15,000 to $20,000
    Ad Expires: March 6, 2008
    Job ID: 392691

Description:
    Sports writer wanted The Nevada Daily Mail and Sunday Herald-Tribune in Nevada, Mo., has an immediate opening for a full- time sports writer to cover high school sports throughout Vernon County, the Nevada Griffons college-league baseball team and other sports-related activity, including occasional coverage of professional sports as time permits. This position provides the opportunity to write about and photograph a wide variety of sports year-round. Sports journalism background strongly preferred. Some photography experience preferred — sports editors are often required to take their own photos. Must relocate to Vernon County, Mo. To apply, send a resume and three writing samples to: Editor, Nevada Daily Mail and Herald, 131 S. Cedar, Nevada, MO 64772; by e-mail to editor@nevadadailymail.com; or by fax to (417) 667-3817. E-mail samples should be pasted into the text of the e-mail — no attachments, please (except photos), and NO PHONE CALLS.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=392691

Just remember to pronounce it correctly: Nuh-VAY-da.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

It's easy to pronounce poorly paid.

3. I hope you get an application for food stamps when you apply for that job.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

shitty town, shitty paper, shitty pay. you figure it out.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Something's wrong there. I recall the pay being higher when the job was posted previously. I hope that's not right because the high end of that scale is waaaaaaay less than what I make in the same position for the same company 20 miles away.

One thing's for sure: For whatever reason, even though there have been applicants (I know for sure there have been at least three), they're taking their sweet time looking around this time. I think they're shy after the six-week and three-week terms of their previous SEs.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but i thought you kicked enough ass 20 miles away to make up for any shortcomings at this place. i mean for the love of god, isn't your paper the paper folks in the region are clamoring to read?

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Took waaaaaay too long and now I'm happy to say I'm taken.

But yes, the previous ad was for "sports editor" and the pay was $20,000 to $25,000.

If they couldn't fill it before, what makes them think they're going to fill it now? Or in other words, can I have some of what they're smoking?

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Pay is shitty, yes, but I want to point out this one's for a sportswriter, not editor.

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Last I heard, it was a one-man sports staff.

10. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

"that's like a dollar an hour." Napoleon Dynamite.

Actually, its more like 7.80 an hour ... not much better.

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

The person who gets this position will probably have to wear many hats.

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Maybe they just changed the title and knocked down the pay 5k.

Draft saved Draft deleted