1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Networking through golf ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mike311gd, Sep 6, 2007.

1. frozen tundra

frozen tundra Member

I resisted playing golf for years, even though I was living in a state where there's a golf course every 100 yards or so. I never had a lesson, but had friends teach me some of the basics, bought cheaper clubs, went to the range a few times. I still suck, even though I'm playing more, but it's been a great way to meet people in and out of work. My only regret is I didn't start sooner.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Even if you aren't a great golfer doesn't mean you can't be a good partner in those rounds. If the other guys are good, just don't through the swamp for 15 minutes looking for your ball when it's your eighth shot on the hole.

If you suck, just suck fast. Say, "I'll sit the rest of this hole out." Or "I'll drop on the other side of that ocean."

(This only applies if you aren't playing for money.)

3. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Go suck a lemon.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yes, golf is a great way to meet shitheads.

Then afterwards you get to change clothes in a room with them.

Fuck golf, tell them you'll meet them in the bar.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I almost said that. I told the guy who called, "Seriously, if you asked me to do just about anything else, I'd say, 'No problem.' But golf isn't my game."

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Unfortunately, those shitheads are often people on your beat who you need to know. Might as well get a nice walk in a well-landscaped area out of it.

7. Smasher_Sloan

You shouldn't play golf with people you cover.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Players? No. Traveling secretaries and trainers and clubbies and scouts? Absolutely.

9. Smasher_Sloan

I've never known a clubbie or TS who played golf. Tough to find time in an 18-hour day.

Draft saved Draft deleted