1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Network fall schedules

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by D-Backs Hack, May 14, 2007.

1. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Re: NBC Fall schedule

Anybody know what this Heros Origins thing is? I don't understand it from the press release.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I know.... but I was holding out slim hope.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what they could move from Sci-Fi. Even Battlestar Galactica's ratings aren't so great any more.

Speaking of which....check out the clip from Bionic Woman on NBC.com.....Starbuck is the villain!

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Why doesn't NBC move Monk to the mothership?

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Man, does this fall schedule suck in terms of new shows. You gotta wonder about Journeyman. They did this show back in the 1980s and called it Quantum Leap.

6. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

We'll turn this thread into an all-encompassing one as the new schedules roll in.

Here's ABC's. Cavemen made it!

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-abc2007-08schedule,0,5345195.story?coll=zap-tv-mainheadline

Can't comment on this one because I haven't watched ABC much since Grey's Anatomy went into the crapper. Not much here for me to get excited about, though I watched Brothers & Sisters for the first time with Mrs. Rossi on Sunday and thought it was well done.

(I should be watching Boston Legal more but never seem to get around to it.)

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Friday Night For Friday Night Lights. Sounds like a marketing genius is born

NBC to TRUMP, You're Fired.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Good strategy if NBC elects to use it. Kind of like CBS' catchy "Race, Case and Trace" thing it used last fall.

Don't get George Lopez started on Cavemen.

All in all, I like ABC's new fall shows a lot better than NBC's.

9. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Re: "Dancing With The Stars," ABC obviously has not learned its lesson from overexposing "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire," or the network has decided it's going to simply milk this for every ratings point while it can.

These competition shows have to hit a nadir soon. I wouldn't be surprised to see a dropoff, though it might happen a little slower with American Idol (whose ratings are down almost 10 percent this season, BTW).

I mean, regardless of the new people on these shows and how they are tweaked, shouldn't viewers eventually realize that this has all been done before, many times? How many more ways can Simon Cowell tell someone their performance was awful?

10. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

From my point of view: 2 really bad ideas here ---

1) The Bionic Woman: Wonder how long it will take them to go through the old scripts from the ABC years to get material before deciding to write anything original.

2) Caveman sounds like a great idea considering the popularity of the commercials, but I guarantee that as soon as it gets rolling, people will wish the creators of the show had thought twice.

BTW, I like the ads, but a full half hour of this? Not sure it's a good idea.

11. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Man, when you're the fourth-place network, it shows. Look at the list of actors in the new NBC shows and then compare them to the actors in the ABC shows. It's like comparing a major league team to a high school team. (Not that the actors have that much bearing on whether or not the show will survive, it's just an indication of which network is getting the best writers and best looking shows on paper.)

NBC, once again, screws itself. FNL on Friday. Why even renew it? I don't understand. Why renew the show if you're going to relegate it to a slot that will guarantee its ultimate death? And make no mistake about it, this is the end for FNL. There will be no third season -- not with this show starting in the fall. If it were starting in January, maybe. But not up against real, live football in September. Morons.

And then, just to make sure they kill off their one popular serial drama through overexposure, they create an entire new show about the popular show. Heroes: Origins? WTF? Here's some advice: If it's working, leave it the hell alone.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, probably the most underrated show on TV this year isn't FNL, it's Brothers and Sisters. Great characters, great acting, great storylines and it's on a network that understands how to build a loyal audience for shows.

Of all the new shows on ABC's lineup, the one most likely to fail is the one that should've had the best chance at success: The Grey's spinoff, Private Practice. The characters blow. And I'm sorry, but Tim Daly sucks when he's not playing an annoying, uptight character.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I really don't like NBC putting The Office up against CSI and Grey's.

Draft saved Draft deleted