1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nettles diagnosed with prostate cancer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ruth-Gehrig, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

Former Yankees third baseman Graig Nettles, who made some incredible plays during the 78, 79 and 81 World Series, will undergo prostrate surgery April 8.
    Hopefully, he comes through it well.
    The Post's article inaccurately termed his tenure with the Yankees from late 70s to early 80s, when he played in New York from 73-83.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03222008/sports/yankees/nettles_battling_cancer_103057.htm

2. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

Thanks for correcting me, buck.

3. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

No doubt.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I loved him when I was a kid. One of my dad's favorite stories still... He used to take me to the Stadium and we'd get there early, stand by the players' entrance and then stand outside until the gates opened so I could watch batting practice. When I was nine, we were waiting to get in before a game. This was the Bronx is Burning era, so even right around the Stadium, it had that urban-decay 1970s NYC feel, and you never quite felt safe. My dad hated being around there until we would actually get inside the Stadium, but I took to it. There I was 9-years-old, waiting outside the stadium with my baseball glove, and arguing with a whino who was getting angrier by the minute about who was the better player -- Graig Nettles or George Brett.

The drunk was right.

My dad couldn't have been happier when the gates opened and he could get me away. To hear him tell it, I was minutes away from a malt liquor bottle cracking my skull. It's been a joke my whole life, though... "Hey Ragu (no, people don't call me Ragu), who was better, George Brett or Craig Nettles?"

By the way--not to make light of a guy with prostate cancer--but let's all hope that Nettle gets a Jewish surgeon.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Damn, I hate hearing this news. I hope he makes it through fine.
    He was my favorite Yankee while I was growing up, still have great memories of going to the stadium in the late 70s, before I turned 10, to watch the games.
    Through Little League, I always wanted to wear No. 9.. although I was regulated to outfield/bench warrmer status because I wasn't that good with the glove or the bat.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Don't mean to be a dick, but Nettles played in the '76, '77, '78 and '81 Series. The Pirates and Orioles went at it in '79.

Buck is full of fail for not catching that. :D

Anyhow, good luck to Graig.

7. The Big Ragu

Be nice, Bubbler. We are all family here. Besides, buckweaver spent most of '79 coked out, so it's unfair to expect him to remember little things like that.

8. Bubbler

Buckweaver was on the '79 Pirates?

9. The Big Ragu

In 1979, we ALL were on the '79 Pirates... Hell, I was only 11, and I was flying higher than a gob of dirt Earl Weaver was kicking at an umpire.

10. Bubbler

I was thrilled they won too. But Buckweaver coked out? '79 Pirates? You get the drift. He's not Tim Foli is he?

11. The Big Ragu

A little more reminiscent of Dale Berra. But with more power.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nettles is one of the nicer guys ever to play well at the MLB level, and that's coming from someone who was in love with brett growing up.

i wish nettles well.

Draft saved Draft deleted