1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Netflix will cost more

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 12, 2011.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I guess the difference is that I didn't see a bunch of advertising and I never had the DVD service.

I had Hulu+ for awhile, and then switched to Netflix streaming, and find the Netflix streaming selection to be significantly better. I didn't have the DVD service or advertising expectations to compare it to, so I'm happy with it.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The services are split into two, with the mail service now going with the name Qwikster. Also, hand-wringing apologies from CEO.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/story/2011-09-19/netflix-qwikster-dvd-streaming/50462706/1

Interesting that the streaming service, which is the far inferior option at this point and is struggling for any traction as content providers try to destroy them, is the one that keeps the Netflix name.

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Got the email this morning and it totally baffles me. First the CEO embarrassingly apologizes saying they messed up. But you don't give me a price reduction or any real explanation of the factors, you give me a brand name change? That makes it better for all involved, including Netflix? Now I think they are slowly trying to kill their company. Or sell it off in pieces. Who are their advisers?

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Oh boy is Blockbuster salivating right now.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Probably just because it makes more sense if your movie service that you stream over the internet is named Netflix, while your service that sends you DVDs in the mail (rather quickly, too) is named Qwikster, but I see your point.

The whole company is going to be out of business soon the way it's being run.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I think I'm telling the wife tonight that I'm done with Netflix. This is my last straw. Now I have to manage two queues on two different websites and I'm going to get billed separately? Sorry but I signed up for Netflix, not for some ragtag group of shattered companies.

7. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I got the same email this morning and it's absolutely bizarre.

I'm somewhat interested in the video game option they claim is going to be available, but not sure I'm interested enough to pay extra for it. And apart from that...just bizarre. Also, Qwikster is a stupid name from Stupidville.

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

In addition to being a hassle, it's also a confusing brand in which there seem to be a million different variations. So that at least makes for good SEO:

http://techland.time.com/2011/09/19/qwikster-not-to-be-confused-with-quixtar-quickstar-kwikster-quickster-kwik-star-quik-star-or-kickstar/

Seriously, who thought this was a good idea and how long did they spend on it? Fourteen seconds?

9. dieditor

dieditor Member

I thought the same thing when I read my email this morning. If Netflix truly "messed up," why not take a cue from the New Coke fiasco and reverse the price hike/service split? The PR nightmare is bad enough as it is, why not give the consumers what they want?

Add me to the list of those who consider this the last straw and are jumping off the bandwagon.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

If you happen to go with just the streaming option, are they going to let you switch to the DVD option in 2-3 months if you want?

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Just got the apology e-mail. Definitely odd.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It feels like he dashed it off last night in a panic. Like a college sophomore rallying to finish a paper for a class.

Draft saved Draft deleted