1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Netflix will cost more

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Because if their plan is to eventually replace the DVD library with a streaming library.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I went to a really good Italian restaurant the other day, and they didn't have a hamburger, gyro *or* bacon and eggs on the menu.

*Terrible* selection.

3. Dick Whitman

Is the New York Times eventually planning to discontinue John Grisham novels in favor of just the New York Times?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Rick, my problem with it is it used to be a bundled package so I got access to their entire library one way or the other. But now it is two separate services. I don't have a huge amount of interest in rolling back on a lot of those old shows (although Mad Men does sound appealing). And their movie selection is just awful.

So the choices are, pay $8 for a service I don't really need or want and then pay another $8 for the DVD service that is not instantaneous. Or cancel the whole thing, rely on mt Comcast OnDemand to give me something to watch (because there's always SOMETHING I cam watch), and then for the 2-3 times I want to watch a fairly new movie I just decide on the spur of the moment and pay the five bucks. If I only watch two movies this month, I win.

That's what Netflix did, they allowed consumers to look at it that way and make that choice, and that is why subscription numbers are dropping like a stone.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Totally understandable. Like I said, it's like newspapers going from free to paywall. People are comparing what they used to get to what they can get now, and it comes off unfavorably. If they'd just come out of nowhere and said "For $8/month, we have this streaming service with a lot of great stuff, but it's not the newest stuff," I don't think you'd have seen such problems.

6. Dick Whitman

How could you say that? They have "Shawshank Redemption," "2001: A Space Odyssey," and "A Streetcar Named Desire." (/Rickstain)

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I've had the streaming-only option for about a year now and also bought a Roku box to view the Watch Instantly titles on my TV. The selection is great if you don't watch the latest and greatest.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm considering at least stopping my Netflix for a while. $16 a month is way too much to pay right now considering I have about three free hours a week during football season. I barely get to watch the videos or the streaming.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

While I don't think their tv selection is great, it's not quite as bad as you make it out to be. I've watched "Dexter" on there in the past so it was on streaming at one time. I also watched "Veronica Mars" and "Buffy" and "Firefly" and "Sports Night" and "Mad Men" and other good shows that I'm forgetting. On top of that, I just looked and saw "Weeds" and "Damages" and "Sons of Anarchy" on there, so it's not a barren wasteland.

10. Dick Whitman

Shows come and go. I remember for the longest time "Louie" wasn't on there, and then it came back.

I would concur that the movie selection is worse than the TV selection.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Well, those are great movies, but yes, I don't think anyone would deny their streaming selection of recent movies is horrible.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I didn't realize "Louie" was on there. Thanks for the heads up.

Draft saved Draft deleted