1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Netflix will cost more

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 12, 2011.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Their streaming service is terrible. The only thing it's good for is old TV shows.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The streaming service absolutely is shit. Embarrassingly bad selection. If you want to watch "The Cosby Show," you're good. If you want to watch anything made between about 1995 and 2010, particularly on cable, forget it. Same with movies.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Let's see, in the last few months I've watched multiple seasons of Doctor Who, Parks and Recreation, NewsRadio and Mad Men.

If you don't like those shows, you don't like TV.

4. Dick Whitman

The exceptions that prove the rule. Seriously. The selection is terrible. You would have a hard time convincing me otherwise.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The studios want you to buy the shows from them (or watch it online with ads). The cable companies don't want you watching the content they originally broadcast for a mere fraction of what it costs for a subscription. So hence anything worth watching goes away.

The studios and cable companies will end up getting jack shit anyway. People will adjust and will learn how to download what they want without paying a dime to anyone and without having to worry about getting busted.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

People said this when Napster was forced to shut down too. And now Apple is sitting on $70 billion in cash.

7. RickStain

*shrug* I don't intend to convince you. Everyone has different taste. I forgot to mention IT Crowd.

Those five shows combined are closing in on 100 hours of entertainment, high-quality stuff, that I've spent $21 in the last three months. I'm happy with the value.

8. Dick Whitman

I like all of those shows. It's not a matter of taste.

It's a matter of these shows and more not being on there:

"West Wing"
    "Dexter"
    "Breaking Bad"
    "Boardwalk Empire"
    "The Sopranos"
    "The Wire"
    "Six Feet Under"
    "Nurse Jackie"

And on and on and on.

9. RickStain

That's a weird way of looking at value. If they don't have everything you could possibly want, then the selection must be terrible.

10. Dick Whitman

I'm comparing it to the DVD selection.

Hence: Terrible. Inarguably.

11. RickStain

Why would you compare it to the DVD selection?

12. RickStain

I bought a newspaper today and I didn't see *any* John Grisham, let alone a ton of other authors I like.

Terrible value.

Draft saved Draft deleted