1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Netflix will cost more

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Yeah... I was pretty "outraged" over the incease, but when push came to shove we kept both ... I MUST have Dexter.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm keeping both. I guess I just assume that things go up in price over time, particularly things that seem like a bargain. I guess $6-8 busts some people's budgets. But to the tune of 1 million dropped subscriptions? I find that difficult to believe. I'm as surprised as Netflix.

3. I think the cost of both for us is $21 a month... We stream stuff for the kids and we watch the DVDs.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Part of it was a social reaction. Moaning about Netflix became the cool thing to do, like pretending to like Conan.

5. Dick Whitman

That has to be the explanation.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

But keep in mind, for everyone who gets a ton of use out of Netflix, there's someone like me who had a movie from Netflix sitting next my TV for about 9 months without watching it. I actually canceled Netflix a week before the price hike was announced.

Two other issues for Netflix -- these days, a lot of people are looking for little ways to trim their household budgets, and a luxury like Netflix is easy to cut, particularly when they make a big price hike. Second, it's not a great business plan to double your fee at a time when the number of options to see those movies is multiplying. If I want to see a new DVD, Netflix was the easiest option a few years ago if I didn't want to mess with Blockbuster. Now I can go with On Demand, Amazon video streaming, Red Box, etc. If you piss me off with a dramatic rate hike, I have plenty of options that will let me say "screw you" to Netflix and still see what I want.

7. Dick Whitman

Is it that dramatic? Is it actually doubling the cost? I know they are charging separately now for streaming and DVDs, but is the actual price doubling?

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The mistake was bundling streaming and the DVDs together to begin with. Sort of like the newspapers' mistake of putting everything for free on the web. It's hard to go back.

9. I was originally getting 3 DVDs at a time plus streaming, and with the price hike I just decided to cut back to 2 DVDs at a time plus streaming so my price would stay the same. Honestly, my house hardly ever watches all three of those movies in a week anyway, so it was no big difference for us.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I was paying about $7 a month when I quit. Just looking at their website -- where they try very hard to conceal the pricing now -- it appears streaming + DVDs would be about $16 a month. So, more than doubled.

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

We cancelled with the price hike and got satellite. We'll go to redbox when we want a movie we can't find on DirecTV

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I've been with Netflix for over five years and the price hike pissed me off beyond belief. If there was more than one Blockbuster in my state, I would have dropped Netflix instantly and gone with Total Access instead.

And it wasn't that they raised the prices, it was the arrogant way in which they pretended they were doing this to "enhance their product". I get that Netflix wants to get away from the costs associated with hard DVDs but you can't do that when your instant selection is shit.

And it is shit.

For instance, I was on the instant watch yesterday searching for something interesting. I went to the "New Arrivals" section and the ONLY movie there was I had even heard of was Buried with Ryan Reynolds. Under their new TV section, there were about 40 selections and almost all of them were shitty reality shows or kid shows.

Where's Dexter? Where's the Walking Dead? Where's the Big Bang Theory? Where's CSI? Where's House? Where's ANYTHING?

If you're going to charge more for your instant watch, you need to be adding AT LEAST one interesting thing a week. Right now there's about 95% shit, 4.9% good things I've already seen and, maybe, 0.1% things I've never seen that I might like if I'm in the mood to watch it.

If things don't change, Netflix is going to get Blockbuster'd out of the market.

Draft saved Draft deleted