1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Netflix will cost more

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 12, 2011.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yea, that's what Netflix thought before their stock crashed.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

No one ever said consumers were rational. Well, tons of people say that, but they are wrong.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I worked for about 3 months with one of the 3 guys who started NetFlix -- he was the original programmer and partner of Reed Sperling (sp?). He had some great stories to tell about how the place got off the ground...but this guy cashed out fairly early on, and although he made 8 figures on the deal, he ended up losing all his money on another failed start up and was working IT for a TV production company when I met him.

4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

While I won't disagree that Netflix is still an incredible deal -- I kept my two at a time and streaming and feel I get at least double the value out of it even if I don't use it a ton -- I think it's the fact that for the basic subscribers (one at a time, streaming) they more than doubled the price all at once. That's bound to piss a lot of people off even if it's still a hell of a deal.

With distribution costs and everything else there is no way they were going to keep the prices at what they were, but I do think they were short sighted in thinking they could raise them that much in one single pop and there be limited fall out.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I still think it's not about pricing but is a supply issue, and that when people looked at what they'd be getting from the two separate paths they decided they'd be better off with their cable company's OnDemand service -- which they're probably already getting anyway -- and just paying for the $4.99 movie once or twice a month. If you decide you want to see a new-to-DVD movie right now, OnDemand offers it and Netflix doesn't.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My friend went through something similar; cashed out in 8 figures at 36; but then got bored and lost it all in real estate and other ventures (lost $500,000 in a pizza parlor!! $70k in a teen volleyball travel team)

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This had to end with molestation charges.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, I was going to say he probably lost most of it to lawyer costs after the teen volleyball thing.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

That's exactly what happened with me. I was pissed because my monthly rate was jumping from $10 to $16.XX. It wasn't so much that it's a good deal, it was the huge price increase.

Then I calmed down and realized I hardly ever stream, so I cut back to the one at a time, unlimited per month plan for $7.99 and now I save $2 a month.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

-- Agree that it's the price increase, in one fell swoop, that got everyone's shorts in a bunch. My household was one of those 1 DVD/streaming that had price nearly double. No price is supposed to nearly double overnight, especially in this economy, so the backlash was predictable and proper.

-- Someone cashes me out on eight figures and I'm happily living on six figures for the rest of my natural life. Or even seven and five, no problem. No sympathy for those who feel compelled to turn great money into stupid money.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm pretty surprised at the outrage over, what, a $6-8 monthly increase? People can't spare $6-8 over something that's already priced really well?

I do have an issue with the lack of quality streaming movies and TV shows. I keep hoping the available titles will increase.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's funny how pretty much everyone insists that, if given a large amount of money, they'd manage it properly. But so many people who actually get large amounts of money don't manage it properly. There's a disconnect there.

Draft saved Draft deleted