1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Netflix will cost more

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 12, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wall Street doesn't seem to think many people are going to drop their service -- Netflix is up $10 today and over $300 for the first time.

On July 29, 2010, it closed at $98. That's a 206 percent jump in slightly less than a year.

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

There may come a time when my Netflix service isn't worth it. $16 a month isn't it.

As much as people will gripe about it, I don't think it's a bad move by the company. If that's the price you need to keep your earnings goals, maybe it's best to do it all at once instead of gradually raising rates and ticking off customers more than once.

Splitting the services is interesting, though. I'm a fan of the instant watch stuff, plenty of interesting movies if you're adventurous, but I can see where the average consumer would be disappointed.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Is anybody else having problems logging onto instant via a PS3? Tried to get on last night and it said it couldn't connect for some reason. I know it's not my internet connection. Tried to get in five different times. Not the first time it's happened.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The PS3 is the problem, or at least Sony's online service. It's amazing how much they've messed up a good product this summer.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

A friend of mine posted on Facebook last night that she couldn't get in and someone then posted a link to Twitter, with complaints from a lot of other people that they couldn't get log in either.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I tried it this morning and it jumped right in. Just sucks because my girlfriend was all pumped to catch up on Arrested Development episodes and we couldn't get the damn thing to work. Hopefully it's good tonight.

7. LongTimeListener

Bump. Netflix takes a big blow:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/09/netflix-to-lose-starz-its-most-valuable-source-of-new-movies.html

Without Starz, there will be no chance of streaming any decent movie that was made in the past three years. And with the major studios owned by Netflix competitors (Universal/Comcast, e.g.), there's very little chance they're ever going to get access to first-run movies.

I posted a bit higher that on July 13, Netflix stock was above $300. Today it's at $212.

8. LongTimeListener

I see I'm the last two posts on this thread and it has otherwise been dead for two months ... but Netflix stock is getting PUMMELED today. It is down $34 a share, which is 17 percent. The reason: They lowered their U.S. subscriber estimates by 1 million in the first quarter under the new split pricing. Stock is trading at $174, down from the $310 high of a few months ago.

It looks like their distribution competitors -- who in many cases own the content and would therefore have to consent to being their distribution partners -- smell blood in the water. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say Netflix in five years could be busted out like Blockbuster is today.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

ISPs, cable companies and the studios want Netflix dead. They can't bare to see people paying a fair price for entertainment.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Oops.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Price-Hike-Sends-Netflixs-nytimes-985924951.html?x=0&.v=1

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I think No One was saying Netflix was fair, which is why the other companies want them dead.

I'm still a bit baffled by the outrage at Netflix, as well. As I wrote earlier in the thread, two people going to a movie in NYC is 26 bucks. For 26, we get three DVDs and unlimited streaming for the month. We watch it nonstop. Still an incredible deal.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/15be7bfd8f/netflix-relief-fund-with-jason-alexander

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If you can't get $9 of value out of Netflix streaming every month, then you either don't have much free time for entertainment or you don't like TV and movies.

Draft saved Draft deleted