1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Netflix will cost more

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 12, 2011.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

But only if they improve the selection of streaming movies, which is complete shit right now. As it is now, at equal cost, I'd rather have to wait for the DVDs because you can at least get some decent new movies instead of horseshit like "From Paris With Love."

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Hulu Plus for online/streaming of TV shows is so much better. The movies right now are pretty lackluster but I'm sure it'll get better.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Since I bought the streaming-only option, I have been paying close attention to the commercials. They have been very sly about intimating (but never saying) that you'll have access to the entire library through their streaming service, and then you don't find out otherwise until you've already signed up for the service. I could see it being like the newspaper used to be in that someone will just accept the $8 as part of the monthly budget and figure they'll get something out of it. But I could also see people moving to another, better option once they realize they won't be getting what they were led to believe they will get.

What I can't see is a lot of people paying $6 a month more to get both services.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if The Wire comes 1 CD at a time ? If so how many episodes per?

My goal this summer is to get through season one. Trying to figure out how to set up cue.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The studios and Internet providers will end up killing Netflix. The Internet provider monthly data caps which are becoming more common are meant to fuck over people wanting to stream low cost entertainment options in their home. The cable companies want you to buy the $4 movies from them. And only them. The studios see a profit angle on this streaming business and aren't about to give up prime programming to services like Netflix anymore.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Exactly. So now they'll end up getting $2 less out of their customers. If they added an intermediate level, with a limited amount of streaming for the current price or a buck or so more, I think more people would be interested. Or at least I would.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Still a Netflix lover. Have the three DVDs at a time and unlimited streaming plan, for $21.76. The streaming choices have gotten much better in the last year. But I'm always able to find really good, occasionally great movies on the Instant, whether it's wading through the documentaries, foreign, or classics. And with the TV shows, I just spent the last two days going through all six seasons of Larry Sanders.

We probably go to the movie theater twice a month. In NYC, that's 52 bucks just with the tickets, plus more for the ludicrous concessions, no matter how much my wife manages to sneak in.

So the 21 bucks to watch a ton of things Instantly, plus getting the DVDs, is still a hell of a bargain.

And no, I'm not one of the fake enthusiastic customers Netflix has been accused of using before (it's sort of like the fake bird noise CBS pipes in to the Masters).

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I figure over time I've saved tons of money using Netflix. Considering through most outlets to rent a single movie costs around $5 or $6, not to mention what we save by not going to movies much any more, it doesn't take much to make back your money. The streaming is usually a bonus for me right now. So I'm not going to be too upset at this. I'm mostly surprised at the amount of the hike. If they give us a 50 percent or more hike every so often it won't be long until it's certainly not worth it. Especially considering more and more options are out there every day.

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I read one time that the DVD by mail will be the foundation for their business for quite a while because of the challenges of getting content cheaply to stream online.

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I do only Netflix streaming and love it. I've watched numerous TV shows and, if you have kids, I've saved tons on kids DVDs with the selection of children's programming available via the stream.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'll give you that, it's great if you have kids.

But if you want to watch a good movie that has come out in the past three years? Forget about it.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yeah - the kids don't know any better. I am hopeful that price increase will open up the spigot to their entire catalog.

It might be a capacity issue they are afraid of.

Have to say I've only been a subscriber a few months but few services in my life work so well.

Even at 16.99 its still good value if I can get a new movie every other day.

Draft saved Draft deleted