1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Netflix will cost more

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 12, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I'm basically paying $8 a month for Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Trailer Park Boys and random documentaries. I'll take it.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Netflix does an about face. Godspeed Kwixster Quickster Qwikster.

http://blog.netflix.com/

"It is clear that for many of our members two websites would make things more difficult, so we are going to keep Netflix as one place to go for streaming and DVDs.

This means no change: one website, one account, one password… in other words, no Qwikster."

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Haha that CEO is just screwing it up right now, huh...

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The misteps of such a big company in past few months are truly stunning.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I fully expect a Netflix post this time next week where the CEO says "After further consideration, we ARE splitting services. We acted too quickly in saying we acted too quickly in acting too quickly. To help make this change more beneficial for our users, we are going to have one website for each of our movies. This way, if you want to rent "127 Hours", for instance, all you have to do is type in "www.netflix.com/movies/DVD/DVDsbymail/NoSeriouslyIWantItByMailBecauseImAnAsshole/127Hours.html", enter your username, password, blood type, account information, sexual history and agree to jury duty and, bam, we'll send it to you in 3-5 weeks."

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This is just a conspiracy so they can make Netflix with high fructose corn syrup.

7. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

What's the over/under on when Reed Hastings is replaced?

I had never heard of this cat until they started sending out these whackadoo emails to subscribers with his name on them.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Oh, there's a change . . . a higher price, if you want it all.

Doesn't affect me, but it affects many, and many have let their fingers do the walking.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Well, yeah, but this was reversing the last set of changes. There's still time this week for them to reverse the price hike.

10. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Bumped for Reed Hastings' pay cut.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/netflix-ceo-reed-hastings-takes-1-5-million-171042072.html

I'm kind of surprised they didn't fire him, though I guess there's time for that in 2012.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm shocked.

A company actually cutting a CEO's compensation for doing a bad job, instead of doubling it and cutting a few thousand employees.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Superficial act by Netflix...Hastings, one of four founders of the company, is the largest shareholder. A $1.5 million pay cut is chump change for him.

http://blogs.wSportsJournalists.com/wealth/2011/10/26/reed-hastings-net-worth-falls-by-640-million/

Draft saved Draft deleted