1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Netflix down....who here is missing flicks?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Aug 14, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

So I got all jazzed up because somehow The Wire: Season Five: Disc 1 made it into my shipped movies Tuesday only to be disappointed when nothing came in the mail yesturday. I didn't think much of it because sometimes these things happen.

Today, nothing.

So I check the website and it says

Anyone else here affected? I did a Yahoo News search and found this article....

http://money.cnn.com/2008/08/14/news/companies/netflix_outage.ap/index.htm?section=money_latest

Seems like it's going to be down for a while.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yes, my wife's que (Yes, she has one. I do not want to watch Laverne and Shirley) shows she returned something on the 12th but her next one will not be shipped until Wednesday? That was yesterday. So yes, there is a problem.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Have one in limbo . . . but it was supposed to be shipped Wednesday, so have no great confidence it's arrived, yet.

Is what it is, but if this isn't solved by the end of business tomorrow, it's clearly critical . . . because the longer this goes on, the worse the processing backlog will be when they finally get back into gear.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I dropped Netflix and sent my three movies back and they claimed they only got two, so they charged me $25 for the one.
    Fuck Netflix.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I got an email from them this morning saying they were having shipping problems and that a movie may have been shipped out to me yesterday, but probably not. Sounds like things have gone haywire at Netflix.

They had some kind of shipping problem a few months back and gave a $1 credit as an apology.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There's room for debate on that policy, but their charging $25 for a lost disc seems outrageous, in the vast majority of cases.

7. schiezainc

From the story I read, it seems they had a problem similar to this is March, but I don't remember it affecting me. They went a while without shipping some people their DVDs and issued a 5% refund for the month.

The longer this goes, the more upset I get, but I know they're working on it so that helps. I love Netflix and couldn't imagine life before it. :)

$25 seems to be the norm. Redbox does the same if you keep a flick. It'll charge you up to that point and that's it. I guess that's probably because it's the MSRP value. Though I can't remember the last time I paid more than $17 for a new DVD, let alone one that's been around more than Paris Hilton.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

But, jeez. They use their own paid, addressed envelopes.

Seems harsh.

Now, if there's a pattern of individual abuse . . . THAT's ANOTHER STORY.

9. schiezainc

I've never had a problem with them so I can't speak from experience, but I think the postage alone has got to be killer for them so I think $25 is a fair deal.

I mean, they must have a special deal with the Post Office for such a bulk amount, but it probably costs them a pretty penny just for shipping alone.

10. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Haven't had a queue problem yet. But I've had all three movies out for a week now. Just put them in the mail before I saw this thread. Dangit. Noticed the WARNING now that I signed in. Oh well "Heaven Can Wait" can wait.

I can't comment on the $25 fee. I know that customer service has been superb with me and those that I know that use it. Usually they just accept your word if one is lost in the mail, or whatever...unless it's a pattern.
    I'll probably have Netflix for life. I guess this week I'll just watch instant movies

11. schiezainc

Their instant movies suck ass.

But I am holding out hope that with that new box thingy they've got for your home that the library will be updated to include things I actually want to see (Dexter, of course, being the exception)

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

It depends on your taste. About 4 movies in my queue are instant watch ones. Guess my taste sucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted