1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Netbooks or

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I think it'd drive me nuts to write on a tablet, and I definitely don't think I could type fast enough on it to take down an interview or something like that.

A netbook is just a handy size for a computer for me, and plugging it in once a day really sells me on it. Maybe someday one of the 11 inch Ultrabooks or Airs will fill the role for me and have the battery life, but until they come down in price, I can't really go that direction.

2. Yes, you can write with a tablet. I normally use mine (Galaxy 10.1) when I don't want to lug my laptop about. It took me some time to adjust to it, but can crank out a story very effectively. There are also apps that make it more easy to type, but most of them cost $. Haven't tried any yet, though.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'd say no to a tablet but not sure what the current prices are today relative to a laptop or tablet.

Bought my wife a 10" dell notebook 2-3 years ago so she could stream music and check email in the kitchen. She doesn't mind it but I hate it. Tiny memory and keyboard is way too small. Hunt and peck typing.

Tablets seem much easier to use. Smaller laptops today seem just as large and have much more computing power and memory than notebooks.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When I looked at netbooks last year, I knew I couldn't get one because the keyboard was way too small for my hands...

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can buy an OK Windows laptop for the price of an iPad. As for typing on a tablet, keep in mind tablets aren't meant for content creation.

Draft saved Draft deleted