1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Netbooks or

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Nov 24, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Are these things temporary toys compared to an inexpensive laptop? Or the wi-fi tablet?

2. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

There's a new level of computer coming out-or already out called an UltraBook. Intel trademarked the name and IIRC, should be coming out as an Acer, an HP, a couple of other brands.

Prob most like an Apple Air computer, but the gist of it is that you don't have to choose between a heavy laptop to get stuff done and a tablet that just lets you consume content, vs. creating it.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

So you can create on the netbook?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Don't waste your money on a netbook. There will be some great deals on regular laptops.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This.

I took a long look at some of the netbooks last year. They're not worth it. You can get a really good brandname laptop for $400-$500.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A friend of mine bought a decent Gateway on BestBuy.com this morning for $329.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Depends on what you want to do with it. If it's going to be a primary computer I'd go with something else.

I have a Netbook primarily for traveling or just working away from my desk, and as long as it's fairly basic stuff -- web, email, word processing, watching movies, etc. -- it's great. The portability was a huge plus for me, at a price far below an iPad.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Anybody have any experience with those cheap tablets that are going for around $80 right now? I am thinking of getting my 10-year-old daughter one, as she has a friend's old blackberry and loves fiddling around with youtube videos, watching movies on it, etc.

9. Mizzougrad96

For $80 why not?

The last time I was at the airport, one of the families on the flight had iPads for their kids, both of whom were under 6. The parents had their own. I was so fucking jealous I could barely find the words...

Oh well... I get my Kindle Fire in about four weeks... :D

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I had a Toshiba netbook that recently broke and I'm thinking pretty seriously about replacing it. It bit the dust literally the same day I was issued a new, current-generation MacBook Air (the 13 inch, not the 11) from work, and while that computer is amazing, it didn't stop me from wanting another netbook.

That Toshiba got probably twice the battery life of the Macbook Air, and it's smaller and tighter. It's much, much less powerful, but I don't want it for its power. I want it for finishing a story on the airplane, or watching a movie or sitting open on the couch next to me all day long on Saturday or Sunday when I want to check my fantasy score and lightly browse message boards. For those things, it's better than the Air.

I hadn't investigated those Ultrabooks, which seem pretty much like the Air, but I don't think they'll fill my void, either. And, they cost three times as much. A tablet wont' do it either, because while it could do some things like check fantasy and browse message boards, I can't count on it to write a story.

Maybe everyone doesn't see the separation of categories here, but I still do, and until they get merged, I'm going to like having a netbook.

11. Mizzougrad96

Could you write a story on a tablet? I know some who have when in a pinch, but is it something people could do regularly?

I used to write stories (usually notebook stuff...) on my Blackberry, but my head was usually ready to explode by the time I was done.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Unless you get a keyboard, writing stories on a tablet on a regular basis would get old quickly.

Draft saved Draft deleted