1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NESN TV reporter apologizes after use of ethnic slur

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by justgladtobehere, Jun 19, 2019.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I just tell people I'm a Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkey (French heritage)

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Well, let me tell you something, my kraut-mick friend...

Dyno and poindexter like this.
  3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

This thread is giving me a greater appreciation for the beginning of The Godfather. It is able to tell so much about the characters through story. You see all the relationships among the family and how complicated the godfather is through story except for Michael explaining things to Kay, but those scenes serve their own purpose in establishing who Michael and Kay are.

In the best decades for movies thread, somebody mentioned how slow artistic 1970's movies are. But The Godfather had this great opening where so much was going on.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

This is just another example of forcing social media garbage into a telecast, which increases the likelihood of dumb incidents like this.

playthrough, exmediahack and wicked like this.
  5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

6-4-3.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Have you not spent any time south of the Mason-Dixon? No, I won’t use blue font.

Boston remains a very segregated city. I’ve lived elsewhere and the lack of mixing between the communities is stunning in this day and age. It’s one of the first things a friend mentioned to me when she moved up here.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Chef would like a toehold.

Chef2 likes this.
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same question as I read the thread. I haven't spent any time in Boston, so maybe it is that bad, but I have trouble believing it is on a level with some of the places I've been in the south.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Giggity.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

There are places in the South that are super racist, but like @wicked said, it's the segregation in Boston that's eye-popping. The only comparable cities I can think of are New Orleans and Atlanta. At least New Orleans has a bit of magic in it. Why anyone would live in Atlanta—and I have many friends who do—is beyond me. Worst city in America, and I think I've been to all of them except for Boise.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've spent time in both places and New Orleans is a horrible place to live. It is corrupt through and through and easily the most racist place I've been. I get wanting to visit, but no way would I ever want to stay for any length of time.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Chicago can be VERY segregated. That's less true than it used to be, but it's not nearly as racist as Boston.

Draft saved Draft deleted