1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NESN TV reporter apologizes after use of ethnic slur

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by justgladtobehere, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'll gladly be the meat in the Sheena McDonnell sammich.

[​IMG]

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

People are stupid.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Twitter trolls are people who hate their lives and want the people they don’t like to hate theirs too.

exmediahack likes this.
  4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I love how many people replying to that tweet ask, "Wait, what exactly are we taking offense to? Oh, that? That's a slur? Um, ok."

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Do people not consider it a slur or not know 'guinea' is a term for an Italian?

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Um, yeah, "guinea" is definitely a slur. Watch any mobster movie for God's sake.

Webster likes this.
  7. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I wonder if younger people would know about slurs directed towards Italians? I bet very few have ever heard the terms Wop or Guinea.

wicked likes this.
  8. typefitter

I've heard the same about some arcane (but still awful) terms for Blacks, like "spade." They've been drummed out of existence to the point where it's possible not to know they exist. But they're still slurs, and I can definitely see some people getting caught by that. It's like that poor guy at ESPN who got dragged for the "Chink in the Armour" headline about Jeremy Lin. He claimed that it never even crossed his mind, and I believe that it didn't. But that kind of doesn't matter.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It is just so coincidental how often these stories originate out of Boston.
    Very unlucky city, I guess.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Only six ingredients allowed.

11. typefitter

It really is the most overtly racist city in America, and so perhaps on Planet Earth. I used to like it because of its history and tolerance for drunks, but I've come around to the idea that it's a bad, bad place.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wasn't NESN the channel that constantly had its Red Sox in-game female hosts fucking the players?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted