1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NESN.com seeks Red Sox Reporter (Full-time, temp)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Oct 28, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Jobs like this, you plan your off-days around the schedule of the GM - when he goes to Tahiti - you take your time off.

2. goldy220

goldy220 New Member

I imagine this would pay pretty well based on the hours.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Fried chicken buffet

4. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Can anybody shed light on what it's like working for NESN on the dot-com side?

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Full-time temporary = no benefits. Also = your job until we find a permanent guy or gal with a bigger name in this market.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Not knowing much about the inner workings at NESN, I'd honestly be surprised if this paid $40K.

7. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Maybe, this is the gig that will open a few doors for a reporter that loves baseball and may even be a fan. But, even if its a lot of work some people may kill to work and write about the Red Sox.

8. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

That sounds familiar from when I did SNY on the side a few years ago. I got the we're looking for more established name rap. I had to contain myself not to curse over the phone.

Anyway from what I've heard from two people that have worked there recently, it's not a good place to work.

From reading it, it seems that you have to live-blog every single Red Sox game, so god forbid you want to go to a concert in your spare time.

9. Sampson

Sampson New Member

Heard from a friend of the former holder of this job. Also know a former NESN employee. Both said it is a pretty bad place, and both said that the supervisor/editor for the website is universally despised. Not sure why, but they seemed pretty adamant about it. Seems as if they want the world but there was an hours limit and stuff....burning the candle at both ends, which can't be good.

10. ReyHeath

ReyHeath Member

From Houston Chronicle sports editor Brad Lehman:

I’m sorry to announce that high school sports writer Didier Morais is leaving the Chronicle to join the New England Sports Network as their Boston Red Sox beat writer.

Didier does have some background in baseball writing, interning at one point for mlb.com. He’ll be doing both print and video reporting for NESN.com.

Didier and I have a Miami connection in common – he interned for The Herald’s sports department -- and I’ll miss his recommendations on the best local Cuban and Colombian restaurants.

Please join me in wishing Didier the best of luck. His last day at the Chronicle will be Dec. 3.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Wow. Don't know if I'd make that sort of move, but good luck.

12. Wow...Didn't think they would hire someone with that strong of a journalism-side background, or that someone that good would take it.

Hope everything works out for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted