1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NESN.com seeks Red Sox Reporter (Full-time, temp)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Oct 28, 2011.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Here is some of the info that I plucked off of the website. I've added the link to read the full job description, etc. You'll find an "apply" link on that page....

JOB SUMMARY
    Reporting to the Senior Editor of New Media, the Boston Red Sox Reporter position is responsible for generating daily Boston Red Sox content for NESN.com by gathering information, writing stories, breaking news, getting exclusives and appearing regularly on NESN programming. This is a full-time temporary position, which may have the opportunity to convert to a permanent full-time position. Working hours for this position will coincide with Red Sox games and will include a majority of evenings, weekends and holidays.

ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
    -Stay on top of Red Sox news year-round and write an average of five Red Sox stories per day
    -Live blog every Red Sox game, starting in spring training, and explain the why and how of what happened, not just the who and what
    -Write original news, feature, analysis, opinion and offbeat stories on Red Sox, Major League Baseball and big baseball events
    -Write a weekly mailbag and other regular features
    -Report on each of the Red Sox’ 162 games during the regular season, including attending all 81 of the team’s home games and select road games, and covering any games during the playoffs
    -Attend and report on spring training in Fort Myers, Fla., and Red Sox practices throughout the season
    -Conduct interviews with Red Sox players, coaches, front office personnel and other people in the organization throughout the season and offseason
    -Build relationships with sources to stay abreast of what’s going on with the Red Sox behind the scenes
    -Cover all Red Sox news conferences and special Red Sox and MLB events
    -Use any available media sources (websites, newspaper, television, radio) to find Red Sox news for stories
    -Communicate breaking Red Sox and MLB news to New Media editorial team
    -Develop stories that go beyond the obvious
    -Use photos, video, audio and social media to produce innovative content
    -Be active on Twitter and comfortable working with social media tools
    -Write pregame stories for every Red Sox game during regular season and playoffs
    -Write postgame stories for every Red Sox game during regular season and playoffs
    -Enhance stories by providing insight, perspective and context
    -Write sponsored content stories
    -Etc., etc., etc.,....see the link.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/10/boston-red-sox-reporter-full-time-temporary.html

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Five stories a day? Holy shit.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"...during regular season and playoffs."

Well, maybe not every year.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. This job should pay about 200 thou per year for all its asking

6. WTFünke

WTFünke Member

What exactly are "sponsored content stories"?

7. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

The Red Sox face a dilemma in middle relief.
    This headache brought to you by Excedrin.
    Then ... you write.

8. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I would love to cover the Red Sox but all the shit listed makes me want to tell them to kiss my ass.

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what's listed is any different than what every beat writer does...it's just spelled out in a long list. Granted most organizations have multiple beat writers to share these duties but still....seems fairly standard.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It doesn't seem that unusual to me. Though it might be tough "covering" the team when you are only on the road occasionally. Five newspaper stories would be tough - five internet stories - chock full of boilerplate, PR handouts, quotes you hear on talk shows, SportsCenter, links to what other sources are saying about the team, probably not that tough.

11. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

It's year round, meaning 7 days a week, 52 weeks of the year. No off days and you would have to be on call 24/7. True, all reporters technically are on call all the time but when you are supposed to cover every single thing a big team like that does, it means you will be constantly working.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You're also working for the house organ, I'm sure you're spoonfed some stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted