1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nerds assemble: Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America are all coming

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, May 5, 2008.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Perhaps, perhaps not. They cast it right, they can set it in the 1940s, end with the death of Bucky and Captain America falling into frozen stasis.

Then the Avengers movie can pick right up weeks later with their discovery of Captain America, and the forming of the team.

Captain America is much more iconic to comic fans and to Marvel than Green lantern is to DC and comic fans. And, in the cheese department, he never said, "My adamantium/vibranium hybrid shield cannot affect anything yellow!!!!!"

DC only has so many interesting characters. Marvel's stable, mostly created by Stanley in the early 1960s, is much deeper, with much more diverse backgrounds and origins. Marvel knew how to do flawed characters, and moviegoers and readers love a good anti-hero.

Captain America may not fall into the anti-hero category, but as an addition to a film mythos they're establishing, he'll fit right in. Granted, this could all fall apart under its own ambitious weight (all it will take is one major flop for the suits to get worried), especially since - thanks kokane - they actually think they're going to waste their time with Ant-Man.

But with good casts and good scripts, and people who treat these films like a labor of love because they appreciate the characters, this has great potential. Don't discount the ambitiousness of this project just because of your pride in having never opened a comic book.

As for DC, it has never been able to get its act together on anything other than Superman or Batman. Marvel has its act together and is killing them right now. Marvel had hits in X-men and Spider-Man, and also put out movies about Daredevil and Huilk. And DC's response was a Batman remake that was great, and a Superman update that was mediocre. A possible Wonder Woman film has been stuck in development Hell for years.

2. Power Girl would make a great spoof film

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/198/4480/640/jsa%20cover%202.jpg

Talk about the "wonder twins"

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Entourage killed off a planned Aquaman show, done by the same folks who do Smallville.
    They even filmed a pilot and then killed it.
    The big gamble with Captain America is that it could and will likely bomb in the international markets.
    Might also hurt any Avenger films.

What's interesting to me, is that Marvel has never really pursued movies or TV before.
    How many different Batman or Superman shows and movies are floating around? You can go back 50, 60 years and find something. But this is the first time Iron Man has ever appeared, outside of a cartoon.

4. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

There's also that small issue of underwater dialogue for Aquaman...

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Piece of trivia: In the Captain America movie that came out in the 80s and bombed, the title role was played by J.D. Salinger's son.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Aquaman can be killed by locking him in a tanning booth.

7. I sense a return by those hair extensions he used in "Troy."

8. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

The problem with the idea of setting the Captain America movie in the '40s and having a possible Avengers movie pick up right where that leaves off, is that both Iron Man and the upcoming reboot of The Hulk are set in the present day. If Jon Favreau ends up being involved with an Avengers film, he'll want Robert Downey Jr. in the red and gold suit.

Personally, I'd prefer to see a Justice League movie first. Especially if they can get Michael Rosenbaum to play Flash.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Never say never.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Like I said, they can put Captain America in frozen stasis at the end of his film like in the comic book, and then have him discovered decades later by the fledgling Avengers.

11. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

This all reminds me of how scared I am that The Watchmen will be ruined on film.

12. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

She looks like she could crack walnuts with those thighs.

Draft saved Draft deleted