1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NEOMG institutes zero-tolerance typo policy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter Burns, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

The Northeast Ohio Media Group (the non-union content providers for Cleveland.com and the Plain Dealer) has a typo problem. The content chief has this to say:

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2014/04/02/northeast-ohio-media-group-knows-it-has-a-typo-problem

http://jimromenesko.com/2014/04/02/northeast-ohio-media-group-content-chief-institutes-a-zero-tolerance-policy-for-typos/

Of course, this is the same organization that laid off a third of its unionized newsroom personnel less than a year ago. So the upshot is, "Have someone read your stuff, but fuck if we're going to pay for it."

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Your spouse? Are you fucking kidding? I'm assuming "Andrea" is this dickbag's wife? I'm sure she appreciates the extra work whose only compensation is "love."

Funny thing is, I'd fully support something like this (more likely a three-strikes-you're-out rule), but if I did, I'd make damn sure the resources were there to comply.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Does you spouse get a W-9 form for serving as a freelance copy editor?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Intentional typo?

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Dammit. Should have got her to look over it before I posted.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Andrea sounds like a whore, giving it away like that.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

IMO, Advance has no idea what it's doing. Great papers in great cities will just have to wait it out until the Newhouse family gives up.

8. MisterCreosote

I gotta say, as chickenshit, clueless and tone deaf as it is, asking your spouse to do it beats asking randoms off the street to volunteer for four hours a night. [/crossthread]

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It's a problem at Advance papers - or any paper - that allows the reporters to post stories directly to the website without it going through a copy desk first.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

This will not end well.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So what if I had my wife, who is dyslexic, look at my copy and she puts a typo in there? Do I get in trouble then?

Just another manager with too much time on his hands who has to look busy to justify his salary.

12. MisterCreosote

Will my health insurance plan cover it when my wife kicks me in the nuts for asking?

Draft saved Draft deleted