1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nelson Mandela (and Abe Vigoda) not dead yet

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Uh ... add the word "senseless"

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

In other news, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

NEW YORK CITY -- Abe Vigoda was arrested and charged today with the brutal murder of Nelson Mandela. The two were senselessly arguing about the rules of a death pool.

4. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Don't believe me if you don't want to. My source is real, and you'll hear of his death sometime today.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

And Tom Brokaw is gay.

6. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Congratulations! Want a cookie?

7. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Will there still be cookies if Zimbabwe invades us?

8. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

For you? Not really.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Ilmago, I'm sure your source is real and credible. I'm saying it makes sense to be a bit skeptical that it's being reported nowhere else. So somehow a flight agency knows about it - and I'm assuming they'd hear about it from, I don't know, the hospital, family, government, someone - yet it hasn't been leaked anywhere else. In other words, the flight agency has kept it secret, except for your source who has given this information only to you. So we can go with your source and your belief, or we can go with agencies in the country, who I'm sure would be more than happy to be first to report that perhaps the most important man in the country's history, has died. Yet they haven't. So you see the skepticism.

As I wrote before, could they have been told to prepare for a possible funeral without him being dead? That seems to make sense. A flight agency finding out before everyone else - and then telling a guy on SportsJournalists.com - that one of the most important figures of the 20th century is dead, and knowing this before everyone else in the news and on Twitter, seems like a stretch. On the other hand, he's an elderly, very, very sick man so the news will not be a shock when it ultimately comes, whether it's reported by Orbitz or the New York Times.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ilmago is the board's biggest joke. He cuts and pastes posts from here on various message boards, claiming them as his own thoughts. When called out on hit, he vanishes. Then he returns claiming to know a 92-year-old man who has been hospitalized is dead because of his inside sources. "You'll see later!" he says. Meanwhile, rumors about the guy's death have been floated in recent days. But Ilmago has the scoop. So if a 92-year-old man who has been hospitalized does die within the allotted time frame that Ilmago has claimed, he can proclaim his genius in having the "scoop."

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Wait ... what?©

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Can we still make jokes about Nelson Mandela because I was wanting to do one where he was raped to death by Ben Rothlisberger ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.