1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Neil Young

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Sep 19, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

David Carr in the New York Times Magazine:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/magazine/neil-young-comes-clean.html?hp&pagewanted=all

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

... has never been in my kitchen.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Or Alabama.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I was skeptical that Young and Crazy Horse could pull off an album full of nursery rhymes as rock songs, but dammit if the man didn't do it with his latest album.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's a solid column on a great artist

I've always been a huge Young fan and absolutely love his new album Americana that he did with Crazy Horse.

For Canucks, you'll never hear "God Save the Queen" quite the same way again.

And the guitar intro on "Oh Susannah" is a knock-out.

Didn't now that he was a model railway freak

Hard to think of Neil without thinking of his dad Scott Young, one of Canada's great journalists, sports and otherwise. Neil probably got his sense of justice from his old man. Scott resigned from the Globe & Mail over an editorial dispute.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"This Land is your Land" is a nursery rhyme?

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Big Neil Young fan here. "Tonight's The Night" was the soundtrack of my life in the mid-70s.

I once read an interview with Neil in Rolling Stone magazine where he said he wrote "Powderfinger" for Lynyrd Skynyrd and that he absolutely loved "Sweet Home Alabama."

And, rumor has it he and Crazy Horse are performing in Tuscaloosa next month.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

HC gave me tickets for my birthday to the Dylan concert on November 15

Neil's coming to the Air Canada Centre on November 19. Wonder if I can talk her into an early Xmas present. :)

9. YankeeFan

That would be a hell of a week.

Neil's set list, as described in the Times article, sounds pretty damn good.

And, Dylan's better than he's been in years. His recent shows have gotten good reviews, and his band -- with Charlie Sexton on lead guitar -- kicks ass.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I need to see Neil again. Only saw him once, and it was during his feedback fascination -- every song seemed to devolve into 10 minutes of screeching. I'd like to see him now that he's got that out of his system.

Pearl Jam and Blind Melon were the opening acts. Pretty cool show.

11. YankeeFan

Last time I saw Neil was during Greendale -- which I don't think had even been released yet.

He played that whole damn album --with actors hamming it up on stage -- before playing about four songs I had heard before.

Would still love to see him again.

Like I said, based on the Times article, it sounds like he's doing a pretty sweet playlist.

12. YankeeFan

Currently the second most emailed article on the Times' site, which led to this tweet:

david carr ‏-- @carr2n

Tucked inside my hermetic little world of media, my stuff is almost never on NYT's most emailed list. Then I wrote about Neil Young. Wow.

Draft saved Draft deleted