1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Neighboring gas stations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, Aug 27, 2009.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

In my town, there are two stations like this. The difference: The expensive one's on the side on the way onto the freeway.

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

93 Devil - One's a BP; the other's an Amoco (or whatever they call it now).

The BP that's next to the airport in our coverage area (the state's largest airport) usually is 50 cents or so higher than other stations a few miles away. It's close to the rental car return, and the cars have to be returned with full tanks.

3. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Are you sure, Wolv? Didn't Amoco get bought out by BP?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think Shell gas is thought of as better for you engine or some crap like that.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Five years ago in parts of Florida Shell gas had too high of a sulfer content, and it destroyed cars' gas gauges.

Shell had to pay a pretty penny to reimburse those folks to get their gauges fixed.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I always thought gas stations made their money on the convenience store stuff, which is always overpriced, but hey -- it's convenient.

These days, though, thanks to numerous drive-offs, most stations require you to prepay. So most people use their credit card and never enter the store.

Makes me wonder if the pump prices are a bit higher to account for this trend.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

They *ALL* say they are better for your engine.

rb

8. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Spup - You're right. I thought some more and it's a Marathon.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Oh really? Because I developed an aversion to Shell gas, in Florida, because I twice filled up and shortly thereafter had engine problems. Hmm ...

Also: Gas-station credit cards. If you're getting rewards for using the card at a particular station, then it may make the extra 11 cents worth it.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder about the stations that can't be bothered to replace the $0.10 metal pieces that allow you to hold the pump open while you go inside to buy snacks. No telling how much business they lose just because of that inconvenience.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Also, in your state the law is a station can't sell the gas for less than what they paid for it. Since gas was higher 7-10 days ago than it is now, they can't drop the price until they buy more at a cheaper price.
    We learned this lesson last year when Gulf hurricanes/stupid profiteers drove the price up to $4 quickly, then it was slow coming down because people weren't buying iy.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They did merge but kept both brands separate, like Exxon and Mobil.

Draft saved Draft deleted