1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Neighboring gas stations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

On my normal morning drive to daycare, I pass two gas stations caddy-corner to each other in a suburban neighborhood. Today's regular gas prices -- as shown on the gigantic signs at each -- was $2.37 at one and $2.48 at the other.

Tell me, what on earth are the dolts who fill up at the $2.48 place thinking? Are folks that impressively ignorant of their surroundings?

RB

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

loyalty to a certain brand, especially among older drivers

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Ah, blind loyalty.

I regularly drive by two competing gas stations that are at least a dime per gallon more expensive than the other gas stations that are a mile or so away. And they probably wonder why very they have very few customers.

4. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I also think that some of them think that people won't go out of their way if they're heading in the wrong direction, but I know I would (and have!).

Could it be that they're so stupid they aren't realizing that they're being undercut?

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

It has to do with how much they paid for the gas they're selling. Margin on gas is pennies, if not a penny, on the gallon for most stations, and if they get caught buying their supply the day before prices drop, they're screwed.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The slushees at the $2.48 place are 11 cents cheaper than the other place. It all balances out in the end.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

They're thinking, "waiting in line at the cheaper one is not worth the $1.50 I'll save by filling up there."

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I think people who go out of their way to seek out the cheapest gas are wasting their time. The resulting savings are nominal at best.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Is one station a Shell?

Shell always seem higher.

10. fitnessscribe

fitnessscribe Member

When you live in Jersey, and the one that is 10 cents cheaper requires a 10- to 15-minute wait because you can't pump your own, it's better to just pay the extra dollar to save time.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

There's a cluster of stations within a couple of blocks of each other in my neighborhood, and one is often a couple of cents cheaper, but it's a huge pain in the ass to get to. The entrance is pointed the wrong direction, the exit puts you out going an inconvenient direction ... It's just not worth the 30 cents to deal with it.

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Both places are on a two-lane road, and are equally easy to get to. But one IS a Shell.

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted