1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Negotiating relocation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thizzellewashington, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Anyone here have experience negotiating with media outlets about covering relocation expenses for a new job? Any thoughts or advice on how to go about it or what would be a reasonable amount to ask for? (Let's assume the move would be of a distance that driving isn't feasible).

2. rubenmateo

rubenmateo Active Member

Before negotiating with the outlet, and if you/they are comfortable with it, I would ask others at the outlet (or recently there) what they got when they relocated. Should give you a good benchmark.

3. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

You may want to consider what kind of deposit you might need to lay down for rent and turning on utilities. Plus any other costs, like pet deposits, the move itself, etc. Then what are you comfortable living on until you get your first check. Once you get that idea, then you have room to negotiate a number. When I did hiring, I always considered we were hiring the right person at the right price, and we were willing to spend a little to get them there. We considered it an investment, but on the ledger it merely showed up as an expense, which we had money to spare on such things.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My company did me a favor (that I did not know about until filing taxes).

They simply called my relocation money some kind of "bonus" instead of putting it on the W-2 line typically used for "moving expenses."

Yes, I had to pay taxes on the "bonus" money, but since they were not called "moving expenses" I could double dip and deduct the shit out of those.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's a good idea. And compare apples to apples, i.e. if you have a family with kids and are moving a household, find someone similar. I took a job years ago several states away with a $10k moving allowance, which sounded like plenty, but I had a family and a house so I was long past getting a U-Haul and rounding up a couple friends with free pizza as payment. The various expenses added up fast and $10k wasn't near enough, but fortunately the company never said a peep.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  7. sporty

sporty Member

Here is my advice, in this climate if you are going to relocate do not do so unless relocation is involved. As I explained to one managing editor a few years ago, the relocation package is your skin in the game and assurance that rug won't be pulled from up under me and my family once we get here. That editor said it was a matter of company policy and still offered me the job. I declined. Then a few years ago another larger company came with the same no relocation BS and I promised them I would not show up without relocation in the package. There was a bit of a stare down before they came up with $5K. The point is without that relocation package you are like a local hire and what is to stop someone from getting rid of you the next day? But if the company has money invested you are at least safe for a couple of years. That's my opinion anyways.

I Should Coco and Baron Scicluna like this.
  8. Pony_Express

Pony_Express Member

Moving expenses can no longer be deducted under the new tax laws.

9. bevo

bevo Member

The last relocation package I received was in 2005. Fast forward 10 years, same company offered nothing. Another company offered relocation, but only with a reduced salary. A third offered nothing...all for 500-plus mile moves.

10. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

This tells you a lot about the industry. A big frustration about the job market in media is that it’s no longer about finding the most qualified person to do the actual job. It’s now about finding someone who can do the job adequately on the cheap without having to pony up for things like moving expenses or other benefits that actually make the job desirable.

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

The last negotiations I had with a newspaper doing such went something like this ...

Me: What about my travel and moving expenses? Can you cover them?

Sports Editor: No. The publisher has said he will not pay to bring in any candidate.

Me: What? Not even for an interview?

Sports Editor: That's right. I can ask him again, but he's already told me he will not.

Me: You gotta be kidding. You realize that's a red flag, right? I mean, if your publisher won't pay a couple hundred bucks to interview me face to face and help me move, then what will he pay for?

Sports Editor: Yeah, I totally get what you're saying. I'll ask and I'll let you know what he says.

Me: OK, thanks.

Two hours later:

Sports Editor: Publisher said he's not going to do it. I have to hire somebody with a phone interview and no moving expenses are paid.

Me: Well I guess that means you're not hiring me then.

Sports Editor: I had a feeling you were going to say that.

PaperClip529 and exmediahack like this.
  12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

A phone interview? Can't even do Skype? :)

Doc Holliday likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted