1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Negative book review sends Buzz Bissinger into a Twitter fit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jun 9, 2012.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

exactly...it amazes me as well.

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

It appears his lack of people skills extends to his role as being a father/sperm donor. I'm sure Bissinger would rip me from not having read the book, but based on the scenes referenced in the review it sounds like Buzz is a failure/believes he's a failure as a father and the journey with his son was little more than a guilt trip.

I suppose you could give Bissinger points for being honest but to write stuff about his son's classmates and how he berates his son for his shortcomings, you really have to wonder about the author's mental state.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Joan Didion and Katherine Boo disagree.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

There are tons of people in this business who are better with words than with people.

I call them editors.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Just dropped him a note.

Among other things, I asked if he taught his kids to tell people to go fuck themselves.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, and what does it mean when a guy has to throw "motherfucker" into so many of his tweets?

"That motherfucker crazy!"

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Here is Buzz's response.

"Don't you fucking dare tell me how to behave. I have taught my children to defend themselves against gratuitous and cheap attacks. If that means telling someone to fuck off, so be it.

I could care less what you think of me or my books. Tell the whole world not to buy them. Because I am sick and tired of people such as yourself. You make no difference. Get over it."

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Great question. I made the mistake of reading his twitter feed for three minutes and my ears started ringing. There's a difference between a bad-boy schtick and actually being a complete asshole.

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

What I cannot understand is why he feels he needs to do the bad-boy schtick

To most of the world, he's a well-respected author. Hell, he's probably pretty well off, too, I would think.

Someone wrote a negative review? You live with it.

Everything else that I can see has been really positive. His Amazon reviews are way up there, and other papers have also given it a positive review.

Guy's a brilliant writer. I just don't get it.

10. Riptide

Awesome work, Billy. Maybe we should invite Buzz to stop by this thread and take a few questions. Should be fun!

11. Riptide

I don't get it, either. Especially the berating of his son. ... It's like he saw only the first half of Rain Man and thought Tom Cruise was cool.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I am thinking maybe we could stick forks in our eyes instead.

I am sure he doesn't care what we think anyway.

I read the review, and clearly he took it personally.

But I thought it as fair comment.

I have been whacked more than a few times myself (I certainly not a nationally known author). You have to be able to take the shot.

Draft saved Draft deleted